GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Free DIY sport seat project

Default Free DIY sport seat project

The e34 is great, but I've never been wild about the non-sport seats. I think for people with shorter legs they probably work fine, but my 34" inseam doesn't like them. So I tore the seat apart and cut out the horsehair backing in the center. This is free and completely reversable. It gains about 1/2" of leg room, much better side bolster support, and extra leg support. For me, this feels much nicer than the stock setup. Plus it only takes a little time, and you don't even have to remove the seat from the car.

Here is a pic, if anyone is interested in a more complete DIY write-up, post here and let me know and I'll see if I can get something together and post it here.

James
    95 525it
    00 Bug TDI

Hmmm, sounds interesting... That is my one complaint as im 6"3' with a 36/38 inseam.
    Josh

1990 BMW 525iA
    2000 Toyota Corolla CE
    2007 Toyota Echo

ditto...6'6" 36 inseam. I may give this a try. Thanks

yea im bout 6foot4 but dont mind the seat too much. I did go from driving an IROC to my bimmer so the improvement was already huge. Is there any negitive effects of doing this>? Will you feel those wires in the back of the seat?? This may be the perfect way for me to get a little more lumbar support. btw my back is f#$%ed up.

Quote Originally Posted by ericcamaro
    yea im bout 6foot4 but dont mind the seat too much. I did go from driving an IROC to my bimmer so the improvement was already huge. Is there any negitive effects of doing this>? Will you feel those wires in the back of the seat?? This may be the perfect way for me to get a little more lumbar support. btw my back is f#$%ed up.
    It changes the feel of the seats, but you don't feel the wires at all. There is also a slight "baggy" look to the center section, but it's minimal and you'd have to see a before and after to know the different. If you look in that picture you'll see that I cut it out part-way up. I thought for sure I'd feel this as a noticable ridge, but haven't.

With this mod, the seats really feel like they "snuggle" you for lack of a better phrase. Most car seats make me feel like they are pushing my back forward, so I like a slightly more "caved in" feel. I do notice that I adjust the seat back angle a little further back to compensate for this a little, but the overall feel, to me, is a very nice improvement over stock.

To me, there's no real downside, I'd been meaning to do this on the car for a while because I'd had great results doing it to a couple of other cars.

Here's a pic of the seat with the mod all buttoned up. Over time the leather will settle into it's new position so some of the gathering and bunching, although very minor, should go away. To look at the picture you can't really tell that there is much more depth in the center, but it's definitely there.

Im not that tall (about 185cm) But you are talking about too litle leg room?? This mod gives you 1/2 inch more?

When i push my seat all the way back i have like so much room for my legs i could have had 40cm longer legs..
    Last edited by Espen; 06-08-2006 at 12:11 PM.

I'm 6' and if I put my seat back all the way I can't touch the pedals...

How did you get the leather off of the seat like that?

Quote Originally Posted by Espen
    Im not that tall (about 185cm) But you are talking about too litle leg room?? This mod gives you 1/2 inch more?

When i push my seat all the way back i have like so much room for my legs i could have had 40cm longer legs..
    Well, I dare say this mod isn't for people with stubby little legs...

Quote Originally Posted by Jon K
    How did you get the leather off of the seat like that?
    I'll post some details. Basically the leather is held on by a combination of hog rings and metal spikes on the frame. I'll see if I can put something together.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast