GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: '90 520i M20, newb sayin "hi"

Default '90 520i M20, newb sayin "hi"

I'm in the military currently stationed in Germany (my second time here) and just picked me up a 1990 520i M20. I've been into cars for a while but never really got into bimmers...i have a lot to learn.

this is a really sweet ride, it has about 102000 miles.....(170k km...)

looking to soon take care of the slight oil leak and then get a quick tune up done (the usual "i just got a new used car" routine....you know the one ) and then a little later on down the road work on suspension upgrades and whatever else.....

i've been reading the board for about half a day now....and plan on searching a lot more....but if anyone wants to say "hi" back and add a word or two about the M20 engine, things to look out for, etc etc that would be great too. pics to come soon, she's in beautiful shape...as i understand from my quick reading today, the 520i M20 was not realeased in america at least in 1990 it wasn't....so hopefully i can swap this to US specs eventually and ship her back home with me when it's time to go back to the states in 4 years....the car is black but it's more of like a charcoal/gunmetal grey shade of black....love it.

anyway, that's it....see you around the board..

-andy

Welcome to the board....
    If it cannot be fixed by the dremel or ducktape.. get out the sledge...
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    I miss my e34

Any pics? welcome to the board

Welcome, the M20 is easy to work on and fun to modify. Look forward to some pic's. Your 4 years will go by quick, good luck.
    M20 525/7 Bore: 84.50mm Stroke 81mm CR 8.5:1, blue printed/dyno & custom chip. Boost @ 6.5psi ~246hp @ 5300rpm / torque @ 269ftlbs. @ 4250rpm

WELCOME!

Best advice...hange that timing belt.

i forget if webshots allows hosting but if not you can copy paste the image url into your browser or just go to my webshots page and go to the album at the bottom titled "bmw": http://community.webshots.com/user/94zj77

sorry for the pictures from the cell phone, best i can do right now. more to come as i make progress with with it. first thing i think is to pick up a bentley shop manual....i know how valuable those are.....how rough is the timing belt to swap out on this engine?

EDIT: looks like i can't link to webshots pics, so you'll have to go through the agony of clicking the link to my webshots albums above.....sorry!
    Last edited by wolfgang7; 06-08-2006 at 08:05 PM.