GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A/C Vents Won't Stay Put!

Default A/C Vents Won't Stay Put!

Hey all,

The A/C vents in my car at the top of the middle consonsole (above the radio and trip computer) won't stay put in the position I put them in. Whenever I try to move them either up or down so that the A/C blows on me, the vents just move all the way down all by their selves. Is there a way I could fix this? Does anyone else have this problem?

Thanks

Check if the motor brackets are broken. That is quite often the case and then it does not work.
    I once posted a fix for that with a bracket with a lot of pics. Should be in archives.
    Also go to my website below, search for Johan & Sean page and check for center vents. If you are unlucky the flappers are broken.

Do you mean the knob rolls back down on its own? I have taken vents apart on other cars and added a paper shim on the roller to add some extra friction. Never tried it on a BMW, but my car does the same thing, I just havn't gotten arround to trying it yet.

Shogun,

Good links, but I think he's talking about the actual vents themselves. (Air direction left/right; up/down from the center vents). Mine do the same thing. When they're hot and the plastic is expanded, they stay in place, but barely. Once the A/C cools them down they get loose and move around on their own shooting the incoming air at random.

I saw a post somewhere where Gayle mentioned using one of the lines of loctite on them at the pivot points. Added enough friction so that they'll stay in place. I'll see if I can't dig that up. It's also on my "to do" list.

John

Here it is... http://www.nmia.com/~dgnrg/page_37.htm She's using Loctite #242. Pics too.

John

I did this. worked great. just enough resistance.
    Thanks,

1995 525i Auto, M50TU 2.5L, EAT chip, 1/95 build, USA, 205/65/15 tires, ASC+T, HID, lumbar, EC Mirror, BMW Alpine 5 radio with BMW-Pioneer CD Changer, abt 236k miles, Oxford Green/Parchment

pull the vent out and look at the side and you should see a little C shaped piece of metal, you can pull that out and put a little bit of a bend in it to make it poke out and make more friction, or you can put a piece or two of fishing line behind it to make it stick out more
    all america wants is cold beer warm cat and a place to take a poop with a door on it

Quote Originally Posted by Gearhead
    She's using Loctite #242. Pics too.

John
    Correction, that's "gale" not "Gayle" and it's not "She". Besides, when have you ever seen a post by Gayle with any technical expertise?
    gale
    92 735i 5-spd, turbo project finally underway!

*hahaha*
    Quote Originally Posted by gale
    Correction, that's "gale" not "Gayle" and it's not "She". Besides, when have you ever seen a post by Gayle with any technical expertise?
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast