GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: chicago directions

Default chicago directions

dont have a real map yet and since i could get lost backing out of my garage, what is the skyway called like as in numbers or road name?

AND where is Scotts directions to avoid the construction?
    Last edited by 632 Regal; 06-07-2006 at 04:43 PM.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Jeff,
    The skyway is interstate 90. I urge you to avoid it. Apparently you are coming from the east, use 80/94.
    The route seems to be in debate from the east. There is construction on both routes. The skyway/Dan Ryan has lane closures in the late eve. and wee hours,sometimes one lane only open. The 80/94 route has become notorious because of a long reconstruction project. This is nearly complete.
    I have had no major delays there recently nor have some friends who travel the route regularly.
    If you refer to an old post of mine I suggested a route that I frequently use.
    Either way you choose enjoy your trip and my city.

all points taken, thanks. What about during the daytime since thats when ill be cruisin? or the same?

Quote Originally Posted by Ross
    Jeff,
    The skyway is interstate 90. I urge you to avoid it. Apparently you are coming from the east, use 80/94.
    The route seems to be in debate from the east. There is construction on both routes. The skyway/Dan Ryan has lane closures in the late eve. and wee hours,sometimes one lane only open. The 80/94 route has become notorious because of a long reconstruction project. This is nearly complete.
    I have had no major delays there recently nor have some friends who travel the route regularly.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

My preference is 80/94 to 294n to 88w to 355n. Traffic in that area is F'd in general but the reconstructed 80/94 is much better than it's rep. Having said that I should add I haven't used the skyway in some time. The Dan Ryan is the bigger problem on that route. According to another post on this board it's not bad during the day.
    I guess it's a crap shoot. You will get a brief glimpse of the tall builings from the 90 route. I personally hate that route if not for the congestion for rheer number of maniacs in beaters driving like they stole it, perhaps they have.

Well, on the other hand... Scott swears to take the I-90 instead...
    :: HIDCanada.com | Illuminating Your World

link me?
    Quote Originally Posted by Qube
    Well, on the other hand... Scott swears to take the I-90 instead...
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========

John F. Kennedy

Default Ross, not to get in to a tiff,

but as I have stated before, your notes on these two routes are a little outdated...

I-90 (Dan Ryan Expy) *was* down to one lane while they were setting up for all the roadwork back in March/April. I used to leave work between 1am and 3am during tax season and witnessed no strange lane closures. I drive to work twice each week currently, and can say the same. Currently there are three lanes open in both directions *and*, more importantly, I-90 moves at a consistent pace. A slow moving freeway is always better than a stop and go freeway. Taking I-90 also takes everyone past the loop, and more importantly, leaves everyone less navigation to get to their ultimate destination, being 1) karting on Friday night (as you can take the I-94 split north of the city), or 2) Busse Woods on Saturday (as you can get off I-90 on arlington heights road and head south to higgins, take a right and you are there)

Google Maps

I-80/I-94 project is not nearing an end, although relative to the total project timeline on the IL *and* IN sides, yes it is waning. The IL side is torn up for the open road tolling and I-294 interchange reconstruction which has caused some serious stopped traffic going in both directions. That whole area is also about 6 degrees warmer and shittier to be stuck in. I travel that path frequently to and from our summer home in Michigan. The only reason I deal with it is because I live 1 mile south of I-80 in Mokena. There is no better detour for me to get home. Also, taking 294 to 88 to 355 would only take you backwards on the 88 leg. Why wouldn't you take 294 to 290 to 355 which turns in to 53? These routes are just too much additional navigation for people unfamiliar with the area.

Quote Originally Posted by Ross
    Jeff,
    Last edited by Scott H; 06-07-2006 at 07:31 PM.

don't you have a computer?

Quote Originally Posted by 632 Regal
    dont have a real map yet and since i could get lost backing out of my garage
    all america wants is cold beer warm cat and a place to take a poop with a door on it

nope
    Quote Originally Posted by winfred
    don't you have a computer?]
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========

John F. Kennedy

U suck

Quote Originally Posted by 632 Regal
    nope
    all america wants is cold beer warm cat and a place to take a poop with a door on it

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast