GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sisters fuel gauge reads <1/4 at all fill levels.

Default Sisters fuel gauge reads <1/4 at all fill levels.

So just recently the car, a 1995 530i, has trouble displaying correct fuel level. I am thinking it has something to do with a capacitor but I am not sure that this affects the gauge or not so I figured I'd ask. Even if the car has 100% full fuel tank, the gauge is off by more than 3/4 of a tank, indicating 1/4 tank or less. I really hope this is not the fuel tank level sender, as I hate reaching in the depths of petrol, but I guess I will find out from the crowd. One thing worth mentioning is that when the tank is full, the car turned on, the gauge goes from 0 (like normal) to the 1/4 or so but reaaaaal slow.

Has this happened to anyone before, and if so, what was the fix?

On another note, i notice my fuel gauge is relatively inaccurate beloew 1/2 or 3/8 full... similar issue or different?

Default What's the OBC say?

Does the range reflect the level of the tank?

If the range reading goes up like mine to 400++ after a fill up, then it is probably the sender.

May be stuck, sometimes the outer sleeve comes loose and blocks the float travel.

Vee ave vays of dealing vid your kind...........

I will check it tomorrow. I have to ask her how much fuel is actually in it.

Interestingly mine shows 1/4 if I leave the car running when filling it up from empty (isn't that dangerous- but when I'm talking on 2 cell phones at once AND working the pump there's often just too much happeneing to cover everything...)

The cap must need to have the ignition turned off in order for it to reset, otherwise the gauge will creep up ever so slowly as you drive along with your newly filled tank afterwards...

I know it doesn't help- but as an observation it might have some value one day.

I find that the gauge is pretty accurate apart from that.

Nick

Join the Aussie
    540i LE yahoo forum

08/88 535i e34 M30+miller MAF, 'stiens, tints & teeth!

Quote Originally Posted by genphreak
    Interestingly mine shows 1/4 if I leave the car running when filling it up from empty (isn't that dangerous- but when I'm talking on 2 cell phones at once AND working the pump there's often just too much happeneing to cover everything...)

The cap must need to have the ignition turned off in order for it to reset, otherwise the gauge will creep up ever so slowly as you drive along with your newly filled tank afterwards...

Nick
    Talking on cell phones while pumping gas can cause explosions. Talking on two doubles your chances!!
    Lowered with blue h&r(?) springs, Bilsteins, tint, 19# design 3 injectors, Dual Magnaflow
    southwest WA

Quote Originally Posted by Alexlind123
    Talking on cell phones while pumping gas can cause explosions. Talking on two doubles your chances!!
    LOL
    no it doesn't thats just something mothers tell their children to scare them

Not touching the metal body of the car when you get out and then using the pump causes explosions.

Germans: Why can't they make everything?

Quote Originally Posted by rob101
    LOL
    no it doesn't thats just something mothers tell their children to scare them

Not touching the metal body of the car when you get out and then using the pump causes explosions.
    Heh true bud. Better tell my gf never to do that, she zaps everthing- not only me

You know Rob, in the US the pump has a seal to go round the filler nozzle- for the phone issue as well as an even better reason:

The Benzene fumes are more carcinogenic than lead. After combustion things improve (ie its a cleaner additive in general terms than lead... but the fumes off the liquid fuel (ie at the petrol station) are freakin bad for you. This is why the lawyers scared the gas comanies into sealing the pump nozzles off. Also it is still lethal post-combustion due to the increasing use of vehicles (in ever increasing densities); post-combustion benzene levels are becoming a serious problem in heavily trafficked cities (especially for people in the cars and even more so the pedestrians). Of course people think its clean cos they can't see the pollution... and/or think there is no lead so its got to be OK nowadays... bwahahahaha! how wrong they are we are all going to die, and some of us more horribly than others... Nick

THe other take home is never get petrol on your hands- I imagine Benzene is easily absorbed directly through the skin as it is through the lungs and eyes...
    Last edited by genphreak; 06-07-2006 at 12:01 AM.

Join the Aussie
    540i LE yahoo forum

08/88 535i e34 M30+miller MAF, 'stiens, tints & teeth!

Nick

My car actually gets more mileage when I fill up the tank with engine running.... (done once by accident, tempted to do again... :-P)
    Rondell 58's|Eibach Springs|B&B Tri-Flow Exhaust|Shadowline|S/D Rotors|KYB Struts

Heh true bud. Better tell my gf never to do that, she zaps everthing- not only me

You know Rob, in the US the pump has a seal to go round the filler nozzle- for the phone issue as well as an even better reason:

The Benzene fumes are more carcinogenic than lead. After combustion things improve (ie its a cleaner additive in general terms than lead... but the fumes off the liquid fuel (ie at the petrol station) are freakin bad for you. This is why the lawyers scared the gas comanies into sealing the pump nozzles off. Also it is still lethal post-combustion due to the increasing use of vehicles (in ever increasing densities); post-combustion benzene levels are becoming a serious problem in heavily trafficked cities (especially for people in the cars and even more so the pedestrians). Of course people think its clean cos they can't see the pollution... and/or think there is no lead so its got to be OK nowadays... bwahahahaha! how wrong they are we are all going to die, and some of us more horribly than others... Nick

THe other take home is never get petrol on your hands- I imagine Benzene is easily absorbed directly through the skin as it is through the lungs and eyes...
    its actually funny that benzene was replaced by lead additives because benzene is very harmful,
    how far we have come in 80 years.
    Yeah i saw a mythbusters where they tested the phone thing
    BUSTED, there is no way that the phone emits enough radition to cause an explosion. or for that matter create a spark.

anyway i am going to make some "clean energy" from hydrogen which we got from electrolysing water using power from a coal fired power plant. Such progress we've made, especially in the realm of the bliss/ignorance duality!

Germans: Why can't they make everything?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast