GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 8 Series?

Default 8 Series?

What're the bimmerforums feelings on the 8 series? I looked up the zero to sixty times and it appears to be slow for a v12 coupe. Is there something you could do to this and have a supercar? I find it an interesting car and would like to know if they have any mechanical flaws etc.

Yow, the E31 8 Series. If you want "fast" then the only one your want is the 850CSi which came out in either 94 or 95. With 372hps/402 ft-lb torque, its the one to get. However, expect to pay.

Good condition ones with all service records, and you want ALL service records, will sell for between $45K to 60K and up - and that's assuming you can find one!

Note, do a google search for the 2 part E31 Buyer's Guide by Paul Micheal Brown. He is the 8 Series guru and will tell you all the pluses and minuses. Big minus - 2 of everything, complex electronics, expect to budget a minimum of $1K-2K per month for maintenance (if not more!). Good Luck!

there was one on the bay recently that sold for around 55k. incredible. the argument rages over whether or not it was an ///M car. it did have the S in the VIN, which is representative of M. plus it looked like:

some day i will have one. i got to drive a white one last summer, 6 speed. it was no slouch at all. downright quick as hell if you ask me!

Quote Originally Posted by Alexlind123
    You're my hero.

Beautiful and fast but expensive to run and maintain. Tolerable V12 examples can be had for a bit under 5000 pounds here in the UK, though the V8 840 is often considered a more practical choice. The 850 CSi is considerably more, of course. A dealership is currently asking 18,995 GBP on http://autotrader.co.uk for a '96 with 78k miles.

1997 535i V8
    5spd, OBC, A/C, cruise, BMW phone, factory M-Tech wheel & suspension, 18" Alpinas

Electrical nightmares, poor build quality, heavy, big, not fun to work on. Earlier ones are the worst, but I've got a '97 850 sitting in my lot right now that is driving me bananas.

Nat, that's the one and only M8. The CSi's S70B56 has manifolds:

I'd love to get an 840 with a six speed and bung a supercharger on it. More power, but less weight over the front wheels. If only my wife would let me buy another car in addition to the M5.......

Nice looking car though, i've always admired the lines of the E31

Regards

John

Pics of my E34 M5 -> http://www.jrobbo.com/M5

absolutly beautifil cars, werent they a joint venture with GM on the body?
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

They are hot looking IMHO, but a friend of mine in Germany had one and couldn't stop complaining about it. As Lowell said - poor build quality and an electrical/mechanical nightmare. My buddy said it spent more time getting fixed than on the road (a statement previously reserved for older model Jaguars). And in regards to the heaviness - ai, it needs a lightweight treatment as urgently as my lawn a proper mow (our lawn guy is paid for by the landlord so I can't really complain about the fact that he's mowing the grass down to the dirt). The 8 series is an expensive hobby, way more than anything else BMW, as parts are hard to get with their production numbers being so low. If you have the time and the money, and don't mind the aggravation, then go for it. The end result is not a daily driver like the E34, more like a Sunday cruiser.
    Freude am Fahren - Damn straight!

Heh, can you balance a coin on the M-badge atop that one Whit?

Farout that's a sweeet lookin bay. I gotta fill mine up like that when I grow up a bit...

There's a video here of an 850 doing 0-60-0, 0-100-0, 0-200, 250+ and 200-0 or something like that, its awesome stuff.

Join the Aussie
    540i LE yahoo forum

08/88 535i e34 M30+miller MAF, 'stiens, tints & teeth!

Ahhh, the classic wedge design. Gotta love it.

Greg Mendoza

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast