Hi all,
I'm new to BMW's and am buying a 1991 525 made in 10/90 that has an automatic transmission. The transmission will not do anything when pulled into any gear.
First I would like to know what tranny it has. From my reading it appears to be the GM 4L30E. Is that correct?
If that is the case is it probable that, from my readings, that the front clutch pack is bad? I read in a post elsewhere that there are seals in the front section of the tranny that leak and cause high fluid pressures in that area and causes problems in this area.
If that is likely the problem what does the parts cost to fix it, where can I get them, and can an average or better wrench hand fix this problem? (I rebuild engines and have done a couple four and five speeds but never an automatic)
This car has 209,000 miles on it does it typically have much life left in it? From what I've read it appears they get quite a few engine problems with high miles not to mention the tranny. To the eye it is still in pretty good shape inside and out and I can buy it for $900.

Thanks,
87esir