GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Oil pressure warning.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Oil pressure warning.

I've been seeing this message frequently and I've been told its nothing to worry about but I thought I'd post to see what you guys think.

the OBC throws an oil pressure warning generally at idle and with increasing frequency as the car gets hot. I've got a '94 540 converted to manual.

Is this something I should be concerned about or do I just deal with it?

Your oil pump bolts are falling out. See http://www.strictlybmw.com/newslette.../v8oilpump.htm

1997 535i V8
    5spd, OBC, A/C, cruise, BMW phone, factory M-Tech wheel & suspension, 18" Alpinas

I can not imagine ever telling someone to not worry about this. Even if there is nothing wrong with your oil pressure and yu have a bug in the wiring, you will be driving a car that constantly cries wolf and you will ignore a real low oil pressure warning. Its like driving with your brake lights on all the time, you may as well not have a pressure sensor in the car at all.

If you do have low oil pressure, then you have a real problem that must be fixed if you want to keep driving your car. Most likely it is the oil pump coming loose, or a bad sensor.

Ok, so I'm going to have to remove the oil pan to address this. I've seen a number of post about this common issue, but no specific procedures on how. Anyone know of a post of writeup detailing this job?

Second, since it sounds like its a pretty big job, are there any other preventative maintinence items I should look to perform while I'm going to hoist the engine? Engine mounts looked good over the weekend when I did valve cover gaskets.

It's not a hard job -- only the lower pan gets removed, not the upper. I do them regularly. Get a new gasket (metal/rubber deal), oil, and OEM filter kit. There are about 25 M6 bolts that hold the pan in place; if the car doesn't have self leveling, you don't need anything more than a 10 mm socket (and maybe a 10 mm wrench for the bolt under the bracket that holds the level sender harness connector).

best, whit

Quote Originally Posted by lowell
    It's not a hard job -- only the lower pan gets removed, not the upper. I do them regularly. Get a new gasket (metal/rubber deal), oil, and OEM filter kit. There are about 25 M6 bolts that hold the pan in place; if the car doesn't have self leveling, you don't need anything more than a 10 mm socket (and maybe a 10 mm wrench for the bolt under the bracket that holds the level sender harness connector).

best, whit
    What if it has self leveling?

dont forget the red locktite!

might as well get a new oil level sensor o-ring while you are at it.

Loctite is virtually worthless in that environment. Any oil saturation will prevent it from creating a bond, and the substance can float around in the engine, which leads to spun bearings and things like this:

HHHhhmm...I wonder why that one stopped running...

obviously a nikasil failure... brake cleaner spray in the bolt hole with compressed air should make a good fit for loctite.

Quote Originally Posted by lowell
    Loctite is virtually worthless in that environment. Any oil saturation will prevent it from creating a bond, and the substance can float around in the engine, which leads to spun bearings and things like this:

HHHhhmm...I wonder why that one stopped running...
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Quote Originally Posted by 632 Regal
    obviously a nikasil failure... brake cleaner spray in the bolt hole with compressed air should make a good fit for loctite.

What's general concensus on using the Loctite? Definitely don't want to risk letting this float around.
    -Trevor Ely

'88 535is
    '95 M Sport 540i (1 of 200)
    '91 M5

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast