GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Oil pressure warning.

Turns out all those smaller 10mm bolts were from the oil pump. I didn't notice it originally, and fortunately nothing from the upper pan. Funny story, one of the bolts was bent slightly, didn't notice until I started putting it in and it gave me a problem. Instead of forcing anything I decided to take a trip to the $tealer. The parts manager gave me some run around story about how someone had to have gone in there before and messed with the oil pump because "those bolts don't come out", and "I don't even have a part number for them". I told him that the pan still had what appeared to be the original cork gasket and if it had been dropped, not in a very long time. He walked away while I debated my alternative options-- sears hardware, and he came back a few minutes later to appologize. He showed the shop manager the bolt and he asked if it was from a 94/95 540...knew the problem immediately. They still didn't have the bolts though. I bought some unidentical alternatives at the hardware store on the way home, but in the end my buddy tried and successfullly straightened it out just enough that it didn't give any fight to being put back, so all is well-- but it took 4 hours longer than it should have for the whole ordeal.

Thanks for all advice, my car is running much happier now than before.

Quote Originally Posted by uscharalph
    I occasionally get an Oil Pressure Sensor warning. Maybe twice since I've owned the car. it turned out to be nothing, but I didn't feel good about it.
    this warning appears sometimes due to low voltage when you're starting the engine.
    greets from Germany,
    Kai

A BMW is a black car with most rights in road traffic.

Quote Originally Posted by bbig119
    Turns out all those smaller 10mm bolts were from the oil pump. I didn't notice it originally, and fortunately nothing from the upper pan. Funny story, one of the bolts was bent slightly, didn't notice until I started putting it in and it gave me a problem. Instead of forcing anything I decided to take a trip to the $tealer. The parts manager gave me some run around story about how someone had to have gone in there before and messed with the oil pump because "those bolts don't come out", and "I don't even have a part number for them". I told him that the pan still had what appeared to be the original cork gasket and if it had been dropped, not in a very long time. He walked away while I debated my alternative options-- sears hardware, and he came back a few minutes later to appologize. He showed the shop manager the bolt and he asked if it was from a 94/95 540...knew the problem immediately. They still didn't have the bolts though. I bought some unidentical alternatives at the hardware store on the way home, but in the end my buddy tried and successfullly straightened it out just enough that it didn't give any fight to being put back, so all is well-- but it took 4 hours longer than it should have for the whole ordeal.

Thanks for all advice, my car is running much happier now than before.
    These are M6 bolts, grade 8.8. Bring it to a parts store to match.
    '01 540it, 6/01
    '03 325i 5 speed, 9/02
    '10 535ix. 9/09
    '10 mini 6 speed
    '15 mini countryman 6 speed

Quote Originally Posted by bbig119
    Dropped the lower oil pan. The good news is that I have a bolt from the oil pump. The problem: There are a total of 8 other bolts that I can't see where they are from and I need your help. I've posted pictures showing these bolts.

RealOEM is not very helpful in showing where these are from. They are all 10mm heads, and my fear is that they are from somewhere higher and out of reach with only the lower pan removed. I do not have the ability to drop the main pan from where the car is at right now.
    The M6 (10 mm socket) bolts fasten the two halves of the oil pump together. There are 11 of them, 10 short and one long. The lone M8 bolt (13 mm socket) fastens the oil pump to its base on the block. There are three of them.
    '01 540it, 6/01
    '03 325i 5 speed, 9/02
    '10 535ix. 9/09
    '10 mini 6 speed
    '15 mini countryman 6 speed

one of these days im going to have to use that new gasket, maybe check them bolts after all.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

my "engine oil pressure" message just came up as I pulled into the parking space at work today... plenty of oil... so I'm going to drop the pan tonight and check out the bolts... hopefully I don't find any sitting in the pan.

how exactly do I use loctite? I just do I just smear it on the threads, and tighten to spec?
    Former: 95-530iM

Current: 99 GMC Seirra 1500

Default You clean the bolt threads and the hole they go into with

brake spray cleaner, dry them, then you don't go with the loctite, its in a dropper type bottle so you squeeze out a couple of drops, enough to cover about 3 or 4 threads on the bolt and assemble.

Quote Originally Posted by PhilipJCaputo
    my "engine oil pressure" message just came up as I pulled into the parking space at work today... plenty of oil... so I'm going to drop the pan tonight and check out the bolts... hopefully I don't find any sitting in the pan.

how exactly do I use loctite? I just do I just smear it on the threads, and tighten to spec?

Quote Originally Posted by Bill R.
    brake spray cleaner, dry them, then you don't go with the loctite, its in a dropper type bottle so you squeeze out a couple of drops, enough to cover about 3 or 4 threads on the bolt and assemble.

Thanks.... hopefully it won't be a problem getting home from work, the drive is only about 2 miles, so it isn't that bad.
    Former: 95-530iM

Current: 99 GMC Seirra 1500

You should be fine. You see how bad mine was, and I only got the oil pressure warning light at idle, so as soon as you get some speed going it'll be pumping ok. Its a simple job, but some of the bolts for the pump are somewhat difficult to get to. Are you also going to replace the gasket?
    '94 540I 6spd/205000 miles

Holy ****! Why doesn't every one use an oil pressure gauge? Low cost and simple to rig. Even GM light duty trucks come stock with OP gauges. Even our '93 Chev S10 4.3 has one.

Saved the engine in my GM 6.2 diesel w Banks Turbo when I saw OP drop to 10psi at 4,000 rpm with the hammer down towing car trailer with E34 with failed cooling system. On that long but mild grade the 15/40 Castrol dino reverted back to base stock. Switched to Shell RotellaT and problem solved.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast