GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Diy A/c Recharging, Using the R134a / PAG oil kits

Default Diy A/c Recharging, Using the R134a / PAG oil kits

http://www.bimmerboard.com/forums/posts/207521

Any comments welcome.

Comments from ShadeTreePete: -quote-
    Here is what little I know. Hvacdude has way more knowledge and perhaps will chime in.
    1. Lots of used dealers change the fittings, and fill a 12 with 134. Works for the tail-lite warranty for a while.
    2. 134 will find a way out if not sealed I think. New seals are mandatory to keep alive. Good 12 seals good for a few whiles. Took only a few hot days for 134 to find the weak seal on pressure switch.
    [seal 16yrs and 194k, I admit], but 134 found it.
    Just .04 (inflation - and 134 not cheap either).

had it done to my GMC recently. Here is what I learned that may be of use.
    1. 134 is smaller molecule than 12, so that is reason for new seals etc.

2. If 12 systems has been charged with oil too often, new dryer may be needed [us kits come with new dryer usually]. Mine would not come loose and they really tried so stuck with old.

3. Old needs to be vaccuum out and far as possible.

4. Be sure u get all seals. One was missing on mine, the one on the overpressure switch and 134 lasted about 3 days. Replaced and still solid after 60 days.

5. I have found that the 134 does not cool as fast as 12 nor as cold. It does work fine after initial cooldown and on highway. You might find that cooler setting needed to achieve what 12 required. 12 is hard go get and expensive. 134 still going up in price but still cheaper.
    So be sure you get all seals, evacuate completely and make sure all is tight before your load the 134.
    Just what I learned recently. Best of luck.

-unquote-
    ------------------------------------------------
    Summer is coming, so be prepared

all is true but I think the hoses on our cars are shielded and can be used for r134. havent hear anything about the seals leaking with the conversion as of yet but it IS common on american cars with unshielded hoses.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Looks like a disaster waiting to happen. I never saw anything about pulling a vacuum on the system before charging, but maybe I missed it.

Pre r134a hoses will not seal r134a well, so they should be replaced on a conversion. replacing the dryer is needed on any conversion. Adding sealer to a BMW is evil.

This sort of crap belongs on a honda forum.

Quote Originally Posted by joshua43214
    Looks like a disaster waiting to happen. I never saw anything about pulling a vacuum on the system before charging, but maybe I missed it.

Pre r134a hoses will not seal r134a well, so they should be replaced on a conversion. replacing the dryer is needed on any conversion. Adding sealer to a BMW is evil.

This sort of crap belongs on a honda forum.
    Why does this belong on a honda forum? Arent we all about DIY repairs?
    Lowered with blue h&r(?) springs, Bilsteins, tint, 19# design 3 injectors, Dual Magnaflow
    southwest WA

Quote Originally Posted by Alexlind123
    Why does this belong on a honda forum? Arent we all about DIY repairs?
    Yes we are, but many jobs require special tools that DIYers do not own. You do not see many people overhauling automatic transmissions, differentials, or engines. They all require special tools and knowledge. AC is no different.

You simply cannot service AC with out a vacuum pump. If you convert a system, as much of the old oil must be removed as possible, the correct oil and quantity must then be added. the system must be placed under a vacuum before filling.

If all you are doing is toping up an AC system, then this product is the wrong one, You do not add oil when you top up AC, and then you have to add the proper oil, not all PAG oils are the same.

I could go on and on. Some parts of the AC system can be serviced by the DIYer, and I encourage that.

can r-12 still be obtained and subsequently used to recharge? i havent gotten around to doing the r-134 conversion yet.....

Quote Originally Posted by Alexlind123
    You're my hero.

I used 409A in my truck too cold, have to shut it off every 10 minutes to thaw the evaporater...
    Quote Originally Posted by angrypancake
    can r-12 still be obtained and subsequently used to recharge? i havent gotten around to doing the r-134 conversion yet.....
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Is a re-charge DIY kit available at Autozone or Peboys?

My system is a little low so that the aux fan does not come on right away when I turn the AC on, will come on after pressure builds. (was told here it is pressure activated by AC) It also comes low speed on via thermal switch (I think) if coolant temp goes over 1/2. Car does not overheat, or get to the point where aux fan goes into high speed, fan clutch is good, no radiator coolant leaks. Checked the site glass and there are bubbles, blows cold after a few minutes and will freeze you out at steady highway driving speed. Stopped at a local AC shop, they want "approx" $150 to do a system check, add dye to look for leaks $40/lb for refrigerant, etc. I think all is well and just needs to be topped off. It has not been serviced in the over 3 years I've owned it. I have done it before on my old Chevelle years ago, would like to try it again before spending a bunch of money if not needed.

Going to try to find a re-charge kit without oil or dye additive, will post results.

I reckon the pro shops would be a better option bud.

It has not been serviced in the over 3 years I've owned it.
    how long before that did the PO service it...?

I have done it before on my old Chevelle years ago, would like to try it again before spending a bunch of money if not needed.
    Which is worth so little if something needs fixing. On the e34 the risk factor is not small... atm there is nothing wrong w your system other than it has gradually lost pressure and will need a new dryer/filter. Why risk screwing it up with one of these kits?

Going to try to find a re-charge kit without oil or dye additive, will post results.
    I wouldn't bother on this car, the system is worth too much. All you need is a regas and a new dryer ($25) from the local shop, no dye, no oil just regas and time changing the dryer (don't do this yourself, though you can prep the engine bay by removing the washer bottle and air-filter trumpet). It is not that expensive, You should chk your hi speed fan is working be4 taking it in of course. nick

Join the Aussie
    540i LE yahoo forum

08/88 535i e34 M30+miller MAF, 'stiens, tints & teeth!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast