GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Rant: Used BMW car dealer experience (read only if you're bored)

Default Rant: Used BMW car dealer experience (read only if you're bored)

Ok, went to three dealers today looking for used E46s to replace my E34. I just thought I would share a somewhat comical example of how used car dealers still got all the stereotypes.

The first dealer I went to insisted that the 325 coupe I was looking at was fully loaded with sport and premium packages. When I informed him that it did not have the premium package because A - no harmon kardon audio, B - No xenon lights, C - No wood interior, he actually told me that those were all special options. So I said "what does the premium package come with then?" He said leather was the premium package. Then he said that the car (02 325 coupe, 5 spd, sport only) was a steal at $23k. I didn't say another word, I just walked away while he ran after me and begged.

The middle lot was open but no one would talk to us. Had ok cars, no prices. pass.

The third lot was my favorite. The guy kept insisting that the 325 coupe with an automatic was the perfect car for me. I told him over and over again that I was only interested in a manual. Finally he got the hint and showed me one forlorn 99 323i with like 90k miles. Now, here is the BEST PART. He tells me that the price is $16k firm, that its the last price they're going to give. I wasn't really paying attention to him either way, just making little mental notes to check out later. Ok, $16k, fine. I'll search and compare when I leave. No biggie. So he sees that he's not illiciting a response from me, so he says 'now, I can't let my manager know I'm doing this, but since you're a BMW kind of guy, I'll let you have it for 13k, but only if you buy right now.' Fine, $13k. Mental note made. Insists I go speak with the sales manager, that I'm passing on a great deal, and the price won't be good next time. Fine, woe is me.

Up until now, I'm sure this is no different to any of you that have bought a car. Don't worry, I'm getting to the good stuff. I go home, pull up this dealers website, and look at the inventory and get some info from them, mabye read some consumer report type things.

I found the car on the website: $12,995. Jackass.
    93 525i / 01 330Ci / 98 Camry / 91 Volvo 240 / 99 Jeep GC

hahahahaha what an *******!

Typical.

I have been looking for a cargo van the past week. Hit the usual (Chevy, Ford, and Dodge). At the Dorf dealership, the guy out front asked if my car was a 99. He then proceeded to tell me that he had once owned the exact same car--body, color, wheels, ect--but it was a 98. I told him I hoped he did not get rid of it because a 98 version of my car was very rare indeed.

I guess being a baldfaced liar works for these guys. Got his card so I knew who NOT to buy from.

Quote Originally Posted by tdgard
    Typical.

I have been looking for a cargo van the past week. Hit the usual (Chevy, Ford, and Dodge). At the Dorf dealership, the guy out front asked if my car was a 99. He then proceeded to tell me that he had once owned the exact same car--body, color, wheels, ect--but it was a 98. I told him I hoped he did not get rid of it because a 98 version of my car was very rare indeed.

I guess being a baldfaced liar works for these guys. Got his card so I knew who NOT to buy from.
    hehehehehe. Dontcha just love experts...
    Cheers

Wingman
    '89 525i/A Exec 193000kms
    '94 Subaru Liberty AWD Wagon
    Looking for Merc 300TE
    NSW, Australia

I used to be in the car business and they lie to other dealers just as quick.
    When I first went to an auction another dealer was on the block singing the virtues of a car. " Drove it here, been through it and it is flawless!!" The open hood revealed a missing alternator and no acc. belts. Hell of a drive.
    I sold more cars by telling people it's faults or simply saying " This is a junker, let's look at another." than any great sales tactic.
    Do not be afraid to tell these guys that they are full of sh*t. It immediately lets them AND the manager you are not the average ignorant ( uninformed ) person. They are hoping someone will bite on an old BMW. The average person walking on the lot thinks a 100k odometer means it is dead, or they just care what the downpayment/ monthly payment is. The banks will not finance an old ride so they are dependant on a local finance company or "on lot pay" here deals. The downpayment is usually covering their exposure ( what they paid for it). Ask them to cut through the BS and give you a cash price.
    Most people fall for the monthly payment or " Wow, I'm getting 5k for my old car" game. Never mention a trade until the very end.
    Also do not forget, dealers make a markup on loans. If a dealer can get the money for you @ 8% but get you to pay 9.5% they have made more there than they profit on the markup.
    These guys do this every day and are not excited, nervous, or scared like you.Call a spade a spade and check their game. It is fun to do this before you buy a car for practice and watch the price drop 40%
    Last edited by ajt3nc; 06-04-2006 at 10:27 PM.
    89 525, 86 jetta diesel, 07 wrx with mods, 06 commander
    1 mean wife, 2 daughters, 1 bull mastiff. At least the jetta
    is cheap to keep up.

Yea, Many years ago I bought an e28 M535i with the works for when an e34s was thrice the price. It needed new rotors, pads and tyres. I just told 'em to forget the warranty altogether and give me a cash price with the work done. They had halfed the price and added the cost of the brakes. It was driving crooked on metrics and didn't want to stop very well, but with new brakes and it was fine and I just threw e34 rims on her with new tyres plus then did new shocks and thrust arm bushings and she went like new for 6 years after that with normal maintenance.

They must have got it really cheap but it was a great and honest car, I could tell it was barely messed with, so was not much up for the usual ploys they wanted to drop on us. It drove like **** and luckily I knew the fixes couldn't be too hard. The spare cash I had for them I didn't even have to spend if one considered the suspension parts to be wear items as they rightly are. Nick

Join the Aussie
    540i LE yahoo forum

08/88 535i e34 M30+miller MAF, 'stiens, tints & teeth!

Thanks for the advice AJT.

So far, the only car I've bought was my e34 from a private party. I have been on plenty of test drives with my parents and have read quite a few 'car shopping guides' to help me along. I've taken a few new dealer test drives, and I've seen some of their tricks in action. I can't yet call myself experienced, but I know about their tricks, I know about the car, and I don't let them push me around.

As for the trade, I'm pretty sure I'm going to sell the E34 to carmax. Its a better offer than I've even gotten private party, and it will be an immediate sale. I just can't find my freakin registration anywhere....gotta dig that up.

We're not afraid to tell the dealer they're wrong. My girlfriend was HILARIOUS. She kept pointing out every little scratch on the car and was driving the sales guy NUTS. He must have said "that will buff right out" at least 12 times. In any event, I know they do this more than I do, but I've been to about 5 dealers now, and I can't in the least say I'm nervous or excited anymore.

Good advice on the trade and monthly payment, but I already got my loan through capitalone. So if they can beat it, great. I still argue the price of the car first.
    93 525i / 01 330Ci / 98 Camry / 91 Volvo 240 / 99 Jeep GC