GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Pulled out the ICV

Default Pulled out the ICV

Pulled out the ICV, was thinking of replacing it with a used one coming from a 525i M50. Well, I was surprised to see that my ICV has only 2 pins, while the one I was planning to use had 3 pins!

Does anybody has resistance value for my ICV? I measured about 10 ohms, which is suspiciously low. Bentley says resistance for the 3 pin ICV is 40 ohms between two furthest pins and 20 ohms between the inner and outer contacts.

Attached is the pic of the ICV that came off my car. Can't really find an ICV like that.. Everything I saw has 3 pins.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    1994 520i with M50 engine, manual transmission and air conditioner.
    VIN: GG45422

Try just cleaning it instead of replacing?
    Ramon
    1994 540iA Nikasil EAT Chip
    Tampa Bay, Florida USA

Cleaned, idle is still unstable. Stalls or keeps going up and down (till stalls or stabilises).

Quote Originally Posted by t_marat
    Cleaned, idle is still unstable. Stalls or keeps going up and down (till stalls or stabilises).
    Does this happen only when the car is cold, or at east most of the time? Mine does that... It will also not give me much power and then I'll get normal power again, then very little so i don't accellerate much at all... then back again, it's wierd... What causes this? It only happens when it's cold...
    EuroLux:. Private Detail
    E34 1/'89 ///M20 2.5i: Lachsilber

Mine is actually the opposite. It looses power and starts to stall only when its hot, really hot. Add that the temperature at this time of year is about 35-40C (95-104F). When the engine is very hot (not overheating), at 2500rpm and higher it starts to sound like a turbine (viscous fan coupling engaging).

I checked for vacum leaks, there aren't any. Apart from a little nipple protruding from the booster valve.
    http://www.bimmer.info/forum/showthread.php?t=21363
    If I close it, it does not hold idle at all. Thats why I think the ICV must be dead.
    Wanted to check the resistance, but do not know the correct value.

Quote Originally Posted by t_marat
    Mine is actually the opposite. It looses power and starts to stall only when its hot, really hot. Add that the temperature at this time of year is about 35-40C (95-104F). When the engine is very hot (not overheating), at 2500rpm and higher it starts to sound like a turbine (viscous fan coupling engaging).

I checked for vacum leaks, there aren't any. Apart from a little nipple protruding from the booster valve.
    http://www.bimmer.info/forum/showthread.php?t=21363
    If I close it, it does not hold idle at all. Thats why I think the ICV must be dead.
    Wanted to check the resistance, but do not know the correct value.
    My engine sounds like a turbine engine as well at high rpms (5,000 or so) I hope this is normal... lol
    EuroLux:. Private Detail
    E34 1/'89 ///M20 2.5i: Lachsilber

sputtering when hot is usually a fuel system problem in the evaporative emissions junk.