GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: the red beast is back and better than ever!

Default the red beast is back and better than ever!

2 weeks without my bimmer, ohh the agony.. the TS astra i was driving was lifeless, i think i can blame front wheel drive, a 4 cylinder that sounds like an electric toothbrush and electric steering for that

but now... the bimmer is back and better than ever before!

it needed 9 welds to the head, pretty serious corrosion.. i checked the head out before it went back on and the welding was excellent, couldn't be spotted unless you held a lamp over it. the old HG was a wreck, there was a neat little path from the coolant channel to the oil channel which eventually decided to burrow its way into the cylinder itself, hence the hydrolock. the head was skimmed and from the looks of it that's the last time that can be done, though hopefully this will give me a few years of solid driving.

the block looked fine, the timing chain and sprockets were like new, and the camshaft lobes were to my amazement basically perfect.. there was almost no wear at all !

so it was just the head weld ($750 alone, ouch), head gasket, all new hoses and belts and new plugs.. it was enough to clean me out for the month and max out my credit card again, but oh god, it's GOOD ! it's like a brand new engine, the power and smoothness is sublime, the only issue left is a slight rumble at idle, but we're putting that down to engine mounts which i will (attempt to) install myself in the near future

fuel consumption has gone from over 17L/100km to about 12.5 in city driving, which is amazing. in 35000km i will have paid for this repair in fuel savings alone
    Last edited by Randell; 06-09-2006 at 07:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Randell
    ..in 35000km i will have paid for this repair in fuel savings alone
    What at current prices of $1.40 per litre? Because by the time you do another 35,000km fuel will be closer to $2.50 per litre than $2.00 per litre so in fact you may have recouped by the time you have done 20,000km if you get my point!

1990 E34 535iA, 215,000kms (130,000 miles).
    Dual Climate, Rear Headrests, Rollerblind, M-Tech Wheel,
    Memory Seats, EAT Chip, T-Stars.

Do yourself a favor and seriously keep an eye on it for the next 3 - 6 months... chances are if it doesnt crack again it won't.

good for you Randell!
    Gone but not forgotten

Hooray for you!
    Looks like your engine wasn't toast after all. I sure hope your repairs hold up well.