GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Interior Lighting Issues

Default Interior Lighting Issues

So I just realized this evening that some of the interior lighting on my '90 535i doesn't seem to be working properly. When I turn off the car, all the lights turn off, as normal... EXCEPT the backlight for the power window switches. It stays on for a period of time, and I can still run the windows/sunroof open/closed. Eventually the light fades to off and I can no longer move the windows.

I realize this is probably some electrical gremlin that I'll be chasing for a while, but I figured I'd see if anyone had any ideas on a place to start looking. Do the interior wiring harnesses rot on these cars?
    Damon H
    1990 535i 5spd 205,000mi

thats normal you should be able to open and close windows and sunroof with the key out of the ignition until you open the drivers side door then it deactivates the circuit if you cant still operate the windows after you open the door and close it then you have a problem

open a door, it should stop, that's a hidden feature that allows you to close up the car with the key out, but once you open a door it stops the main power and the lights fade
    all america wants is cold beer warm cat and a place to take a poop with a door on it

Default i love that feature...

i always notice that the windows are open AFTER i have taken the key out......no problemo if you have an e34...I think the windows etc remained powered until a door is closed again.....stil no problem...turn the key all the way past lock to deadlock position and hold there windows and sunroof will close one at a time so you can leave the sunroof tilted open or one of the windows down...a realy handy feature...
    Gone but not forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by Paul in NZ
    i always notice that the windows are open AFTER i have taken the key out......no problemo if you have an e34...I think the windows etc remained powered until a door is closed again.....stil no problem...turn the key all the way past lock to deadlock position and hold there windows and sunroof will close one at a time so you can leave the sunroof tilted open or one of the windows down...a realy handy feature...

Ok.. good to know..usually I've got the door open almost immediately after I shut the car off.. Apparently never noticed it before, but last night I had a girlfriend in the passenger seat to wake up.
    Damon H
    1990 535i 5spd 205,000mi

Default Actually, the windows, etc. cannot be operated normally if

one of the doors is opened. At least, if either of the front doors are opened - I never have anybody in the back seats to check them out.

Often I will stop the car and pull out the key, and try to then shut my window or the sunroof, and while I am in the process my wife will open the passenger door and then the window stops and I have to put the key in to be able to finish closing the window. I haven't tried the door key lock method because I usually don't lock the car when it is at my house.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul in NZ