GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: M50: Replacing thermostat + housing. Quick question:

Default M50: Replacing thermostat + housing. Quick question:

I just got back from the BMW dealership, where I picked up the following parts for a complete coolant thermostat replacement:

1153 7511 580 - Thermostat 88°C
    1153 1265 084 - O-Ring
    1153 1740 437 - Profile Gasket
    1153 1722 531 - Thermostat Housing

All for about $65 and change. Thanks BMW CCA!

Now, my question is this: the thermostat housing is kind of difficult to access. The Bentley manual does not specifically mention removing the fan shroud or the fan for that matter.

Which parts should I remove to make it easiest to access and replace the thermostat / housing?

T-stat on your car is one of the easiest things on the engine to replace, its right up top in front. Remove the fan so you can get your hand in easier.

What kind of tools will I need to remove the thermostat housing? Bentley isn't clear, and I will not be driving my car today until I finish the job. Fortunately the Auto Parts store is within 3 minutes' walking distance.

Quote Originally Posted by theirongiant
    What kind of tools will I need to remove the thermostat housing? Bentley isn't clear, and I will not be driving my car today until I finish the job. Fortunately the Auto Parts store is within 3 minutes' walking distance.
    Uhhh, I'll go look at my car if you want, but from what i recall, its nothin but a gansta party.... Oh, really though, I think theres one 13mm holding the engine hoist thingy and the rest are all easy access 10mm bolts.

Remove the fan, its easier. Good luck,

Dave M

10/90 Build 525im, 630,000+km, Eibach/Sachs, Engine Rebuild
    *RIP Oskar the DOG *

Well here's how I spent the last 90 minutes:

1. Raise car.
    2. Support front end on jack stands.
    3. Open hood.
    4. Unfasten fan shroud rivets with screwdriver and pliers.
    5. Insert 32mm wrench onto fan nut, handle pointing up.
    6. Whack handle in clockwise direction with a hammer.
    7. Try to loosen fan. Fail. Whack handle again.
    8. Drop wrench through engine bay, go back to step 5.

I couldn't even get the damn fan nut off. I followed the instructions in the book. I think the coolant pulley is moving, plus the nut is rusted onto its screw, which is preventing me from taking it off.

I had to stop working for the evening because I have a date at 7PM with my girlfriend.

Any ideas on how to make this easier the next time I try it?

Get a big screwdriver and wedge between a couple of nuts on the pulley. The pulley is definitely slipping. Once you can keep the pulley still you'll be able to loosen fan.

Greg Mendoza

I took a photo from the top-front of the engine bay to show you what I'm looking at. I labeled everything that is wrapped by the belt, but there are 3 parts I don't know about.

Where should I insert said screwdriver?

Once the nut is undone, how obvious will it be? Can I assume that, because it has "left-handed threads," that I should continue turning the fan in the same direction as I had been turning the wrench--that is to say, turning it clockwise, relative to the front of the car?
    Last edited by theirongiant; 06-06-2006 at 04:40 PM.

You have a nut/bolt on the left side of the picture. A long screw driver or thin rod needs to be wedged between it and one of the other bolts on the same pulley. Hold it in place while you hit the rubber hammer on the 32 mm wrench. 3 hands make it a lot easier. Standing in front of the car the 32 mm fan nut loosens/turns to the right to loosen. After breaking the nut loose keep turning/spinning the fan to the right to take it off.

I took a photo from the top-front of the engine bay to show you what I'm looking at. I labeled everything that is wrapped by the belt, but there are 3 parts I don't know about.

Once the nut is undone, how obvious will it be? Can I assume that, because it has "left-handed threads," that I should continue turning the fan in the same direction as I had been turning the wrench--that is to say, turning it clockwise, relative to the front of the car?

Default You don't need a scewdriver. You're probably using too big of a

hammer. Use a medium size ball peen or claw hammer and give it quick sharp blows. Sometimes with a bigger hammer you're swinging it slower and its pushing the wrench rather than shocking it.. You want quick sharp blows to shock it loose.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill R.
    hammer. Use a medium size ball peen or claw hammer and give it quick sharp blows. Sometimes with a bigger hammer you're swinging it slower and its pushing the wrench rather than shocking it.. You want quick sharp blows to shock it loose.
    I am using a standard hammer that one might use to drive nails. The head is round, made of forged steel, approximately 3/4" in diameter.

edit: FINALLY I got it off. Thing was rusted on there pretty good. In my haste I spun the fan too quickly and failed to catch it as it fell off the post, crashed into the ground and broke a blade. I will have to buy the replacement blade tomorrow at the dealership.

But, I managed to change the thermostat, gaskets, T-stat housing, and flush the coolant system. Hooray!
    Last edited by theirongiant; 06-06-2006 at 07:39 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast