GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: burning oil help?

Default burning oil help?

Hey guys, today i was driving and my car said low engine oil, just wondering what could be the cause, i stopped and put more in, but how come im burning oil, im about 1000 miles from my oil service, should i be worried, also im not leaking anything on the garage floor so i know its not that, just wondering if i can get some help. thanks

No oil in your coolant?

Quote Originally Posted by Morgenster
    No oil in your coolant?

my coolant level seems normal, what color would it be if it was in the coolant, like what color would the coolant be then? and if so what does that mean?

some oil use is normal, it will tend to use more as the oil gets more and more miles on it especially if it's thin dino oil that has broken down.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Maybe its leaking out to somewhere under the engine that doesnt drip until you drive the car.
    Lowered with blue h&r(?) springs, Bilsteins, tint, 19# design 3 injectors, Dual Magnaflow
    southwest WA

Quote Originally Posted by 632 Regal
    some oil use is normal, it will tend to use more as the oil gets more and more miles on it especially if it's thin dino oil that has broken down.

should i be really concerned about this, or just pray to god its nothing big, the car runs great, i have been driving it alittle hard since i got the eat chip?

You should always be concerned about any loss. If its just burning a bit from age and hard driving, thats one thing. But if you have an oil leak, it can grow into a bigger leak depending on where it is coming from.

Some times oil will leak onto a body part, then flow into a pocket somewhere when you park in your driveway, this is especialy common if you park on a slope of any kind. You probably don't need to panic about it, but make sure its on the list of things to do soon.

Quote Originally Posted by joshua43214
    You should always be concerned about any loss. If its just burning a bit from age and hard driving, thats one thing. But if you have an oil leak, it can grow into a bigger leak depending on where it is coming from.

Some times oil will leak onto a body part, then flow into a pocket somewhere when you park in your driveway, this is especialy common if you park on a slope of any kind. You probably don't need to panic about it, but make sure its on the list of things to do soon.

i park it on a flat surface in the garage, i will check it out, and if i cant find anything then i will have my mechanic check it out?, what could be the worst thing

Quote Originally Posted by 1991 525i Novs
    what could be the worst thing
    A cracked engine block? lol.

really, thats not a fair question. Most likely thing is a leaky valve cover gasket, will set you back less than $50.00 for OE parts if you do it yourself, its easy enough.

Quote Originally Posted by joshua43214
    A cracked engine block? lol.

really, thats not a fair question. Most likely thing is a leaky valve cover gasket, will set you back less than $50.00 for OE parts if you do it yourself, its easy enough.

so investing in a service manual like the bentley one is a good idea huh, easy enough with little experience?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast