GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Need TRANNY Help Please!!

Default Need TRANNY Help Please!!

I have a 1991 525. It is German specs. I replace the tranny because of the "trans program" error and now I get the same sluggish 3rd gear shifting as the other transmission. However; with this trans I do not get the "trans program" error. What could be the problem? Could it be electrical?

Also, how can I check the fault codes without a fault tester?

As you have a German spec car, there is no possibility to make a socalled stomp test to get fault codes. In any case I would drive to a BMW dealer and ask for a detailed diagnosis with a diagnostic tool. They can find the real porblem. Do NOT change anything before you are sure that you or the delaer found the fault!
    Do you see the selected gear and the mode indicated in the check control in the cluster? That is needed in any case. If not, clean the trans selector switch under the gear selection lever. Info is on Gale's page, see link on my page below.

Quote Originally Posted by shogun
    As you have a German spec car, there is no possibility to make a socalled stomp test to get fault codes. In any case I would drive to a BMW dealer and ask for a detailed diagnosis with a diagnostic tool. They can find the real porblem. Do NOT change anything before you are sure that you or the delaer found the fault!
    Do you see the selected gear and the mode indicated in the check control in the cluster? That is needed in any case. If not, clean the trans selector switch under the gear selection lever. Info is on Gale's page, see link on my page below.
    Yes, I do see the gear. It does not "slip" all the time. It is usually when I come out of a corner or just catch it right.

Have you checked the fluid level in the gear. It is very important that the level is right and a small difference=too low can make such trouble too.
    See on my website under the link europeantransmissions how to check the level correctly.

ok I will, but I have taken apart my shifter to check the wire connections. There are 3 wire harnesses that are not connected. Are they all suppose to be connected? The 2 black harnesses are connected, but I have 3 white harnesses that are not.(2 two connection harnesses and 1 single harness) Where can I find the wire diagram of the wires that should be connected.

ALSO, today my transmission started leaking from the rear.(drive shaft end) So bad that it would leak on the muffler and smoke. I am assuming I had to much fluid and the seal is now bad. Is this easy to replace. About how many quarts does it take to fill a 5HP18?