GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Towing with an E34 M5

Default Towing with an E34 M5

I am thinking of buying either an M5 or 540i 6 speed. I need to tow an MX5/Miata race car about 8-10 times a year. The car and trailer will be a shade under 1400kgs/3000 pounds. The towbars for E34's in Australia are made by Hayman Reece and are rated at 1400kgs. Does anyone have experience towing with e34's?

Thanks,

Cal.

Where are you sourcing this "towbar" you speak of?
    1990 BMW 535i 5 speed - Black on Grey, LSD

Quote Originally Posted by JAlfredPrufrock
    Where are you sourcing this "towbar" you speak of?
    It's already on the M5 I'm looking at. Otherwise you just order it from Hayman Reece (Australia's biggest towbar manufacturer)

Cal.

Quote Originally Posted by Cal
    It's already on the M5 I'm looking at. Otherwise you just order it from Hayman Reece (Australia's biggest towbar manufacturer) Cal.
    The HR is a couple of bits of steel that are vut to size and drilled to fit. If already on there, check the wiring (often poor) and that it is installed properly (most are badly done). You can always source the original removable tow bar setup from a breaking yard. They were popular here... search for horsecock (and beware the recent thread about jerrying a bodge up bar).

I can tow all sort of things with my e34, they are very good as the brakes are big, engines strong and the towbars are a thousand times better than the usual fare. If I tried to tow a freight train I would rip the back of the car off before damaging the tow bar installation. Nick

Join the Aussie
    540i LE yahoo forum

08/88 535i e34 M30+miller MAF, 'stiens, tints & teeth!

Man....

Sell the MX5, and race the M5!!!

Good to see another Aussie online... I'm in Tassie

Gone but NEVER forgotten. :'(

And then...

Cal,

I've often towed with my M5, although probably only about 700kg or so, not any more, but in any case, it was easy, no problems at all.

Regards

John

Pics of my E34 M5 -> http://www.jrobbo.com/M5

I don't know, I woudn't tow more than a small trailer with an E34. Passenger car are not meant to tow heavy charges (more than a 1000kg). When I was a kid, people had a rule of thumb saying you can tow as much as your car but back then we had big american cars with V8's and bulletproof transmissions. Truck trannies are set-up to take the abuse. Electronic transmissions suck at towing as they always upshift or downshift under load.

That's my opinion from experience. If you tow a race car, I would find an old pick-up as a tow rig. Bonus, you get more room for equipement and save milleage on the Bimmer...

My 2 cents...

Jeff
    I prefer to be misunderstood rather than having to explain myself all the time...

Quote Originally Posted by Cal
    It's already on the M5 I'm looking at. Otherwise you just order it from Hayman Reece (Australia's biggest towbar manufacturer)
    What was the seller towing? I'm sure he has as more experience towing with an M5 than anyone here. Adding another 75% in mass to a vehicle is a big deal. I'm sure the clutch and transmission can handle it (at least for a little while) but that is a lot of wear and tear that I can safely say for which the drivetrain was not designed. Does the trailer have electric brakes? I don't even want to think about slowing that load down from 45 mph.

I can't believe you really want to tow with it. If you can afford an M5, you can probably scrape together enough money for a mid-size truck or SUV that can tow that load. you might even be able to find one cheaper than a new M5 clutch and transmission.

Sounds like a bad episode of Monster Garage, between the 1981 Ferrari 308 GTISI Pasta Machine and the Porsche 944 Golf Ball collector.

If you end up doing it anyway you MUST post a picture.
    Job 14:1 Man born of woman is of few days and full of trouble.
    az

get an old truck and forget the BMW tow car scenereo...
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Towing with E34 is NO problem. Have been towing caravans alot with my 520i! These caravans are about 1500kgs. The owners manual says a 520 can take up to 1600kg, and the 540 i think it said 1900kgs. can get the exact kgs if anyone interested...
    -95 520i Touring M50TU Manual
    vin: GJ96166
    Norway

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast