GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Engine oil cooler w/ auto radiator?

Default Engine oil cooler w/ auto radiator?

Ed's post got me thinking.

E32 engine oil coolers are very hard to find. Anyone ever take a radiator from an automatic and drop it in a 5-speed, then use the "transmission cooler" part of the radiator for engine oil cooling?
    Robin

72 Chevy K10
    01 E39 M5

Quote Originally Posted by Robin-535im

E32 engine oil coolers are very hard to find. Anyone ever take a radiator from an automatic and drop it in a 5-speed, then use the "transmission cooler" part of the radiator for engine oil cooling?
    Are not engine oil coolers generic in design?

deleted air conditioning

Quote Originally Posted by Robin-535im

even though i own an automatic, i've thought about this too. the blowoff pressure for the radiator cap is, what 28lb max? and the oil pressure in even a stone age american 4 cyl or 60deg 6 cylinder gets up to 60lb at some point. put the idea to rest when i mistakenly thought these two numbers meant something to each other. autotrans ATF pressure and engine oil pressure should be commensurate, right?
    "..Torchinski v. Peterson that it is legal to carry a concealed weapon, so long the weapon is totally slick like a huge ass machine gun that you carry under a trench coat, like in the Matrix."

commensurate??? WTF. the pressure between the ATF and OIL pressure that goes through the radiator shouldnt make any difference. if the exchanger bursts then its a mess but the rad should be able to tolerate either equilly.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Quote Originally Posted by Rustam
    Are not engine oil coolers generic in design?
    You can get generic ones, but there is a factory 735/535 oil cooler that mounts under the radiator. Martin has one.

My rad does indeed have the auto tranny cooler, I think I might just try it out. Probably want to get a spare oil cannister and work with that off-line.

Good point about the pressure. Anyone know what pressure the trans cooler can take? Gale was talking about an external microfilter for the oil to catch the extra crud the main filter lets through.... Wonder if I'll need an external oil pump?
    Robin

72 Chevy K10
    01 E39 M5