GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: alarm for bmw 318is

Default alarm for bmw 318is

Hi all just bought a 318 is 1998, but there don't appear to be a keyfob for alarm but i do notice the the ignition key has a centre piece missing,, is the remote alarm fob built into the key on this model??

Quote Originally Posted by robwilson69
    Hi all just bought a 318 is 1998, but there don't appear to be a keyfob for alarm but i do notice the the ignition key has a centre piece missing,, is the remote alarm fob built into the key on this model??
    Unfortunately, no the hole in the key is for the button flashlight that was in keys in the 80's and 90's. You pressed the button on the key to shine a light that extended out in the direction of the lock as you were trying to insert your key. Nice touch very handy. You can buy a replacement at your dealer.
    There probably wasn't an alarm in your 318 from the factory. It could be added I think as an accessory from the dealer in those days. I don't know if it would be available any more but, you might find one on ebay or something.
    Aftermarket alarms were popular in those days from vendors such as; Clifford, Code Alarm, and Alpine. I have used all three in the past and found them to be very satisfactory in the 80's vintage BMW's I have owned.
    Good luck to you on your 'new' car.

Scott