GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Pre-purchase inspection

Default Pre-purchase inspection

Looking for 97-2000 E39, probable buying out of my area. What should I expect to pay for a pre-purchase inspection if I go to an BMW dealership, or an independant shop? E-bay Motors recommends arranging inspections through SGS Automotive, cost $99.50. Does anyone have opinions on SGS Automotive? Below is copy and paste from E-bay's SGS Automotive inspection section.

SGS Vehicle Inspections offer:

Nationwide staff of trained inspectors
    Inspections performed wherever you are–home, office, or any convenient location
    Thorough but rapid inspections
    Reports available online within 24 hours of your inspection
    150-point condition report
    Interior and exterior photography
    Only $99.50 for most vehicles

The SGS inspection does not use computer or other mechanical diagnostic equipment and is not a substitute for an examination by a qualified mechanic at a properly equipped repair facility.

For the e39, I would recomend going to a dealer for the PPI. The techs there will still be familiar with the car and are used to doing CPO inspections on them. Ask them to do a CPO and you know every thing the car needs to meet BMW certified pre owned car. They will also be abe to perform a DIS test, will will encompass more than the aftermarket shop can.

I don't have any personal experience with SGS, but I not be inclined to trust them, since they are using "trained" inspectors, rather than mechanics who are familiar with that particular car and all its foibles.

Good points. In my area, I may also use my independent BMW mechanic. Do Two pre-purchase inspections. Depends on several factors incuding my trust of the person/organization offering the car. If I was buying from a BMW dealer, even as a CPO car, I would have my indy look at it.
    Thanks,

1995 525i Auto, M50TU 2.5L, EAT chip, 1/95 build, USA, 205/65/15 tires, ASC+T, HID, lumbar, EC Mirror, BMW Alpine 5 radio with BMW-Pioneer CD Changer, abt 236k miles, Oxford Green/Parchment

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by joshua43214
    For the e39, I would recomend going to a dealer for the PPI. The techs there will still be familiar with the car and are used to doing CPO inspections on them. Ask them to do a CPO and you know every thing the car needs to meet BMW certified pre owned car. They will also be abe to perform a DIS test, will will encompass more than the aftermarket shop can.

I don't have any personal experience with SGS, but I not be inclined to trust them, since they are using "trained" inspectors, rather than mechanics who are familiar with that particular car and all its foibles.

dealer for sure!

SGS may be like what BMW sent to me when I planned on returning the leased car, they inspect visually, pics, ..... NOTHING that really matters is actually checked though!

You need a real inspection that only a dealer or real indy bimmer shop can provide.
    ^°^ ><((({º>°°