GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: F-1 Rant

Default F-1 Rant

Sharkmans post about the Schumi incedent pompts this.
    On the original topic. It certainly looked a clumsy and deliberate effort to foil Alonso. Schumi has been occasionally given to these dumb ideas in the past, although I personally thought he had grown out of it. Renault must have him rattled. He got what he deserved.
    Now that Herr Schumacher hasn't the best car on the grid and he sees the end of his career in sight he has become perhaps a little desperate.
    Now the rant.
    The regulations have become so silly in the past few years as to endanger F-1's status as the pinnacle of motorsport. I believe the underlying motives of many rule changes to give others some chance to compete against Ferrari.
    Quali especially is intended to upset the grid. It's better this year but only when an open session for everyone is reinstated will qualifying be an accurate indication of ultimate performance from the teams.
    Ferrari continued to succeed in spite of changes made by the FIA until 2005 when Bridgestones tires where not competitive. A natural change of power that didn't require any fiddling with the rules.
    If the FIA doesn't stop making poor rules changes in the interest of providing a show then F-1 will become a mediocre spectacle like NASCAR.
    Before you start shooting allow me to clarify. NASCAR is so regulated that the cars are essentially identical which is great if your idea is to provide a venue for strictly a drivers competition. NASCAR prior to the eighties was a different animal. The car was part of the equation then. If you are looking for an athletic competition then remove the motors and install pedals.
    I'm no fan of NASCAR but mean no slight either, it's just that the cars are pigs. If you don't believe me look at Jeff Gordon's face after he did a few laps in Juan Pablo Montoya's Williams (BMW) a few years back!
    One common reason cited by FIA for rule changes is to reduce speed and costs. Neither has been accomplished. The cars have been narrowed,slick tires abolished,engine displacement reduced and asked to live longer.Yet speeds are up and cost even more so. And sheer spending isn't the answer anyway,the Japanese can attest to this. This is is a game where natural selection should be the rule. The strong survive to fight the ultimate battle,the weak go to GP-2.
    The money is certainly there and the desire to compete is in most.I wish the GD FIA would stop meddling! Now that Ferrari is not dominating maybe they will. But rest assured if Schumi pulls a miracle from his ass, Bridgestones will be square for 2007.
    If there weren't such retarded qualifying procedures Schumi would have needed to save that move for the race.

Yes the some of the rule changes are crap, but the FIA has always been a problem, they rule F1 like the nazis.

But I'd still take F1 over anything

Nascar is worse. I am no longer a Nascar fan, its ridiculous, a sponsor whoring farce. It all started when it no longer became the Winston Cup... the chase is stupid. The races are too long. Restrictor plates are stupid. The lucky dog thing of free lap back is reallllllllly stupid. But the worse is this weekend, lets run a 600 mile race on a smaller fuel cell.... HOW STUPID.
    Current
    2008 M5 6 Spd
    2000 Z3 2.8 5 Spd MSport
    2012 X5 35d Sport
    1995 540i 6 Spd
    1992 535i 5 Spd

Former
    1995 530iA
    1986 635CSI 5 Spd
    2011 X3 2.8 MSport

You're 100% right, Ross. IMHO it all started with the narrow cars and grooved tires of 1998.

If they really want to slow the cars down while keeping the racing exciting, the solution is bloody obvious: remove the wings and outlaw downforce! That would slow the cars and also reduce the effects of 'dirty air' that make it impossible to pass.

The only reason they don't do it is that the front and rear wings comprise the car's most visible advertising space.

So now you know what their real priorities are.

Jay Lebo - Toronto, Canada
    1990 BMW 535i
    5-speed conversion
    Lightened flywheel
    Sachs Suspension Kit
    E.A.T. Chip

Ross.... well said.
    It is sad how the fia governs so nazi like.
    Rules are imposed when they see fit... rules too!

F1 is still a million miles ahead of nascar for action (except those 40 car pileups!)
    It's nice to hear what you F1 fans have to say!
    ^°^ ><((({º>°°

Quote Originally Posted by SharkmanBMW
    F1 is still a million miles ahead of nascar for action (except those 40 car pileups!)
    Belgium 1998:

If you missed it, it was classic. No injuries, thankfully. I believe only four cars came out unscathed.

Jay Lebo - Toronto, Canada
    1990 BMW 535i
    5-speed conversion
    Lightened flywheel
    Sachs Suspension Kit
    E.A.T. Chip

Also at least its not like the ridiculous IRL/Indy 500, where cars are a lap down after a few laps and where the 2nd place car could have so much more power to fly past 1st on the last lap after making up how much ground after the pit incident.... Talk about uneven field, the IRL should just consist of like 6 cars cause no one else has a chance.

After watching all of the Monaco race, the Indy 500 was sooo boring.
    Current
    2008 M5 6 Spd
    2000 Z3 2.8 5 Spd MSport
    2012 X5 35d Sport
    1995 540i 6 Spd
    1992 535i 5 Spd

Former
    1995 530iA
    1986 635CSI 5 Spd
    2011 X3 2.8 MSport

What are your thoughts on A1 GP.
    Format? Cars? etc
    E30 318iS & BMW K1200LT

Are you refering to the competing series proposed by some of the F-1 teams or is this a series I'm not familiar with?

Quote Originally Posted by Ross
    Are you refering to the competing series proposed by some of the F-1 teams or is this a series I'm not familiar with?
    A1 is an international series with teams from Countries eg: Australia or USA. Most have 3 recognised drivers from their country.
    All the cars are the same (not sure on who made them).
    It is owned and run by some oil baron sheik.
    It is sought of F1 meets British touring cars (old school)
    Watched it a couple of times last season, was very entertaining.
    E30 318iS & BMW K1200LT

Quote Originally Posted by GJPinAU
    A1 is an international series with teams from Countries eg: Australia or USA. Most have 3 recognised drivers from their country.
    All the cars are the same (not sure on who made them).
    It is owned and run by some oil baron sheik.
    It is sought of F1 meets British touring cars (old school)
    Watched it a couple of times last season, was very entertaining.
    where can I see this A1?!??!
    ^°^ ><((({º>°°

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast