GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: If I'm rebuilding the motor...

Default If I'm rebuilding the motor...

and the components for the M30 motor, if they are all original, have about 135k miles on them, do I buy a rebuilt OEM alternator and a new water pump, or are these items typically good for longer than that?

i would rebuilt the alternator with a new voltage regulator ($60?) and get a new pump with metal impeller and new seals and hoses.

Oh I'm getting all new gaskets and seals and such, and the pump I took off the motor has a metal impeller. For what I've spent on the turbo kit and the body work, and the upcoming engine rebuild, I may as well just get a new alt and water pump from BMAParts.com.

Quote Originally Posted by uflnuceng
    Oh I'm getting all new gaskets and seals and such, and the pump I took off the motor has a metal impeller. For what I've spent on the turbo kit and the body work, and the upcoming engine rebuild, I may as well just get a new alt and water pump from BMAParts.com.
    Search for Bill Rs advice on such things, he knows water pumps better than most people. M30 pumps are all metal and generally okay. Alternator will be okay, I would get a regulator only if the old one needs it. Are you changing to a 540 radiator? Have you placed the oil pump? Remote oil cooler? remote trans cooler (if auto) and putting oil pressure switch on there? You want to be replacing all lower seals and the oil pump, and with a turbo mod there are some journal mods (as per M102/M106) that should be made to maintain oilflow on the main bearings I believe... That mod effectively turns an M30 block into an M106 block. The M102 I believe is the turbo version of an M30 in 3.2L form.

Here's one of the best write-ups Ive seen on an M106 rebuild btw. CHeck it out if you haven't seen it!

Join the Aussie
    540i LE yahoo forum

08/88 535i e34 M30+miller MAF, 'stiens, tints & teeth!

Hmmm... well TCD hasn't had any issues with the stock oil flow, but I'll bring it up with Todd.

Is the 540 radiator a common cooling upgrade? I have coolers out the ass for the water/air intercooler... its nuts.

Hmmm... well TCD hasn't had any issues with the stock oil flow, but I'll bring it up with Todd.

Is the 540 radiator a common cooling upgrade? I have coolers out the ass for the water/air intercooler... its nuts.
    Out the ass? Hmmm NFI in that one... but I won't go there...

540 or the complete alloy replacement, made by one dude in the US- search the forum if interested. I certainly would be after extra cooling; the thing may run hot during prolonged boost (on a hot day it certainly will), and this will cause premature failiure of all sorts of things; these cars are not designed to heat up and cool down like an old Ford, they engineer fast warm up and maintain good fuel management around constant temperatures. When under boost you must maintain very accurate fuel management. Are you using stock ECU- what mods being made? This is a big grey area and is a must to get right, just check out Beetos' car for example... also on the forum.

Check out the filter/cooler mod on bmwe34.net, let alone a new oil pump (a must). Both are a damn good idea (and good insurance for your expensive new motor...) Nick
    Last edited by genphreak; 05-30-2006 at 07:00 PM.

Join the Aussie
    540i LE yahoo forum

Quote Originally Posted by genphreak
    When under boost you must maintain very accurate fuel management. Are you using stock ECU- what mods being made?
    Complete custom megasquit system controlling injection and ignition with a new custom pre-terminated wiring harness. Its going to be bitchin'

Complete custom megasquit system controlling injection and ignition with a new custom pre-terminated wiring harness. Its going to be bitchin'
    Yea, that'll be bitchin'. Was just reading your site, needs bigger pics to do your (great) info justice... mambo rocks too. Nice one Jarad. Welcome to the board btw... (!)

Did you check out those awesome head studs that fellow used in his 645? I have no idea how much they are, but yours will need new studs- are you thinking about them?

I look forward to hearing **MUCH** more about this project... Nick
    Last edited by genphreak; 05-30-2006 at 07:51 PM.

Join the Aussie
    540i LE yahoo forum