GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Whats the dif between an auto and manual tranny RADIATOR

Default Whats the dif between an auto and manual tranny RADIATOR

I'm looking to have a radiator on standby (spare part) for an Auto tranny E34 which I may end up using in a manual tranny E34. I just wanted to know what the actual differences are between the 2 radiators, and whether they are interchangeable?

Thanks dudes.

A Bimmer Nut for sure: '04 530im (current daily driver), '97 m3, '98 323is, '99 Z3, '01 740iL, '06 330cicm zhp, '02 R1150R, '69 r60, Owner/Operator of www.Bimmer.info and www.BimmerNut.com
    And I still maintain: '90 535im (sold to daughters best friend, one of my favorite bimmers), '92 525im (daughters other best friend now drives this one).

Part of the reason I ask isL
    http://www.radiatorexpress.com/produ...aia_id=1012082
    They say they have a radiator tht fits both,

And other part suppliers always specify different radiators for the auto tranny car and the manual tranny e34.

A Bimmer Nut for sure: '04 530im (current daily driver), '97 m3, '98 323is, '99 Z3, '01 740iL, '06 330cicm zhp, '02 R1150R, '69 r60, Owner/Operator of www.Bimmer.info and www.BimmerNut.com
    And I still maintain: '90 535im (sold to daughters best friend, one of my favorite bimmers), '92 525im (daughters other best friend now drives this one).

all the smart guys are off the long weekend...lol

I'll try to bump this tomorrow for ya.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

On my E12 (yeah I know it's different) I fitted an auto one as a replacement. The difference was that it had an extra section (at the edge of the radiator) that connected up to the transmission cooler. To adapt it to my car I just had to move the top mount out to the wider position placed there by the factory. Maybe this is the same deal.
    Cheers

Wingman
    '89 525i/A Exec 193000kms
    '94 Subaru Liberty AWD Wagon
    Looking for Merc 300TE
    NSW, Australia

on most bimmers the auto radiator has the tranny cooler made into one of the tanks and uses the engine coolent, so you can put a auto rad in a stick but not the other way around, unless you want to switch to a external trans cooler which i did on my 535 when i installed a 540 radiator, i spliced a e36 325 tranny cooler into the 535s lines and bolted it to the front of the radiator just like a later 525 has
    all america wants is cold beer warm cat and a place to take a poop with a door on it

don't need to move anything on a e34, they are the same size

Quote Originally Posted by wingman
    On my E12 (yeah I know it's different) I fitted an auto one as a replacement. The difference was that it had an extra section (at the edge of the radiator) that connected up to the transmission cooler. To adapt it to my car I just had to move the top mount out to the wider position placed there by the factory. Maybe this is the same deal.
    all america wants is cold beer warm cat and a place to take a poop with a door on it

they just are stocking a auto radiator to save inventory

Quote Originally Posted by Bimmer Nut Ed
    Part of the reason I ask isL
    http://www.radiatorexpress.com/produ...aia_id=1012082
    They say they have a radiator tht fits both,

And other part suppliers always specify different radiators for the auto tranny car and the manual tranny e34.

Quote Originally Posted by wingman
    On e34 the mounts are the same, one simply doesn't connect the cooler lines if installing auto radiator in a manual car. Its the same on Fords and many other production cars- radiator mounted tranny coolers are cheaper and easier to make. I wonder if it has any goodor bad affect on the tranny in comparison to a remote cooler.

Join the Aussie
    540i LE yahoo forum

08/88 535i e34 M30+miller MAF, 'stiens, tints & teeth!

bad, overheat the engine and you are roasting the tranny too, done a few nuked motor swaps and had the tranny puke on the test drive, a remote cooler is not going to transfer that heat to the trans fluid

Quote Originally Posted by genphreak
    I wonder if it has any goodor bad affect on the tranny in comparison to a remote cooler.

Quote Originally Posted by winfred
    bad, overheat the engine and you are roasting the tranny too, done a few nuked motor swaps and had the tranny puke on the test drive, a remote cooler is not going to transfer that heat to the trans fluid
    Thanks Winfred, very true. It might be cheaper and easier to make, lighter in the car too.

And **yet another reason** to avoid overheating any L6 motor

Join the Aussie
    540i LE yahoo forum

08/88 535i e34 M30+miller MAF, 'stiens, tints & teeth!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast