GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: OT: Garage door openers

Default OT: Garage door openers

Our new house will need a pair of garage door openers. Nothing special about the doors; single slot with a multipart hinged door.

Any garage door openers I should look for or specifically avoid?

Thx!
    Bellevue WA
    90 535iM - not much stock remains. 3.7 liters, ported head, cammed, 3.73 diffy, M5 brakes, MAFed, yadda yadda yadda
    86 Porsche 951 - Track Toy

i like the screw drive genie that we got to replace the chain drive unit that ate itself, it's quiet fast and the release is easy to deal with, it can engauge anywhere on the track instead of needing to mate up with the shuttle, for that reason alone i will stick with screw drive in the future
    all america wants is cold beer warm cat and a place to take a poop with a door on it

our belt drive has lasted 6 years so far - toothed fiber belt - way quieter than chain or screw, my only question is longevity....

your question reminded me of a trick I saw on discovery channel's 'it takes a theif' show. With auto garage door openers you want to shorten the cord on the quick release handle so that someone will not be able just break the window and pull the quick release.

As for brands I have no idea, just my .02

Present: Black 1995 525i | Past: Red 1989 535i; Black 1985 535i

The lumberyard I used to manage sold and installed Chamberland openers, never had any problems with them. Some 10-15 years on some with no issues, and most were the cheaper chain drives.
    Matt J.

'95 540/6- Jim C. chip, Bilsteins, B&B, For Sale!
    -Sold
    www.wichitabmw.com

Overhead door company seems good. They made a custom size door for us many many years ago. everything still works.
    Thanks,

1995 525i Auto, M50TU 2.5L, EAT chip, 1/95 build, USA, 205/65/15 tires, ASC+T, HID, lumbar, EC Mirror, BMW Alpine 5 radio with BMW-Pioneer CD Changer, abt 236k miles, Oxford Green/Parchment

Likewise -- I'm sure it isn't up to doing commercial duty work, but the screw drive genie is fast, quiet and seems to be reliable in the coupla years that I've dealt with it.

mine does a huge door, it's a 2 car but it's big enough that 3 will fit in a pinch

Quote Originally Posted by lowell
    Likewise -- I'm sure it isn't up to doing commercial duty work, but the screw drive genie is fast, quiet and seems to be reliable in the coupla years that I've dealt with it.
    all america wants is cold beer warm cat and a place to take a poop with a door on it

I have a sears in my garage that my PO installed. when the remote finaly died, it cost me $10.00 more to buy an entire new opener than to buy just a new remote. Took me 20 minutes to install the new opener since it bolted irght up to the old hardware, and I just aimed the lasers at each other and screwed them to the ceiling.

Don't buy a sears, the remotes cost too much to replace.

me too thought i was the only one, it would be nice it there was a option to not pay for the crap we don't want

Quote Originally Posted by joshua43214
    I just aimed the lasers at each other and screwed them to the ceiling

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast