GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: M30 Guys- Check Your Thermostats!

Default M30 Guys- Check Your Thermostats!

Well, I had a small leak at the thermostat-heater hose junction, so I decided to replace the coolant while I was at it. While peering inside the junction housing aft of the thermostat, lo and behold, there lie the guts of my thermostat, spring and all... This is the second e34 thermostat I have seen completely separated like that. Well, for those of you who have never even considered it, consider it. Just pop off the upper radiator hose and look in there- its worth it. So anyway, I was able to fish out most of the parts, and replaced it. Odd side note- she idles better and runs better now. Hmmmm...

Bleeding question: After she's warm, if I bleed with the engine off, how many re-starts and screw-pops do you all reccomend? Thanks

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by borderchris
    Well, I had a small leak at the thermostat-heater hose junction, so I decided to replace the coolant while I was at it. While peering inside the junction housing aft of the thermostat, lo and behold, there lie the guts of my thermostat, spring and all... This is the second e34 thermostat I have seen completely separated like that. Well, for those of you who have never even considered it, consider it. Just pop off the upper radiator hose and look in there- its worth it. So anyway, I was able to fish out most of the parts, and replaced it. Odd side note- she idles better and runs better now. Hmmmm...

Bleeding question: After she's warm, if I bleed with the engine off, how many re-starts and screw-pops do you all reccomend? Thanks

Chris
    I would not beed with the enine off. Working pump makes possible for trapped air to travel...

deleted air conditioning

also make sure the heater is on hot and blower is on.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

once you get it warm enough to get hot water through the radiator it will self bleed from that point, if the pisser line from the top of the radiator to the bottle is clear
    all america wants is cold beer warm cat and a place to take a poop with a door on it

Quote Originally Posted by Rustam
    I would not beed with the enine off. Working pump makes possible for trapped air to travel...
    I bleed without the engine running, cold- cabin heater on max. Then I start and check for more air after 30secs, let it warm a bit & bleed some more. Shut down and bleed again once its reached temp. Usually it's got very little in it by this point, but I check it once again after it has driven at temperature on the next run. I always drill my thermostat with a mini-hole at the top and still go to this extra trouble; so far have been using the Wahl ones, they seem good. I don't like the idea of risking a cooked motor just to change a tstat. I know its not likely, but I'm a pedantic prick- especially about what I may not understand entirely; the idea of hotspots, a mistake, anything- I just like it right after I've messed w it.

Are the Wahl thermostats the ones you've seen go wrong Winfred?

Join the Aussie
    540i LE yahoo forum

08/88 535i e34 M30+miller MAF, 'stiens, tints & teeth!

i've seen just about all of them blow up, we install wahlers at our shop but i am not impressed, i like the behr thompson but have a hard time getting them around here, i am running one that was boxed for a old 5 cylinder diesel mercedes in the e30, same t-stat with a different o-ring in the box, m20-30-50 all can run the same t-stat

Quote Originally Posted by genphreak
    Are the Wahl thermostats the ones you've seen go wrong Winfred?
    all america wants is cold beer warm cat and a place to take a poop with a door on it