GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OT: Screwed over big time

Default OT: Screwed over big time

Let me set the scene for you. I'm driving in my Mercedes (for a change) on a busy city street. It's the only stretch of the road that doesn't have a stop sign for about half a mile. Cars generally drive a bit faster at this part, so I'm driving along with them. Its raining out but not pouring, apparently just enough to slide. Getting to the next intersection (with stop lights) I start to slow down and get to be about 20 feet from the car in front of me. I was going maybe 30 mph.

My dumb luck, the suburban slams the brakes. I hit mine only to hit a slick spot and slam right into the rear of them. I was so pissed. Come to find out, after talking to the lady, some old lady had pulled out RIGHT in front of her. Basically I didn't have a chance. I'm not saying that I wasn't at fault because I probably was too close considering the weather conditions. But it made me feel better that the lady said that. Her suburban only has a dented rear bumper that didn't bend enough to hit paint (100 dollar repair). The cop gets there and we tell our stories. Basically he said, if we could confirm the car and plate that I wouldn't be at fault.

It happened about a block away from the major intersection, which had a store or gas station on every corner. Should I check and see if MAYBE just one camera caught the plate?

I get the police report monday and get to see how badly damaged the Benz is. It didn't look extremely bad, but my buddy said it hit a cripple point and he guesses I'm screwed.

Any ideas on where I should start?

Here's some pics incase you care.

My poor w124

Vandalization one week, wrecking one the next..... my summer has sucked.
    InDEuroz | e34 540i/6 '94 w/ bore/stroked m62 | e30 325iS '87 | Ducati 748R '00

looks fixable as it took almost all of the hit above the bumper, as long as the frame isn't bent behind the crossmember or strut tower shifted more then a little it's just cosmetic and can be pulled on a frame rack in most front end collisions, looks like about the worst that could of happened with that hit is the frame forward of the crossmember may of been tweaked down a tad, doesn't look that bad though get a hood and fender and use them to align the core support to
    all america wants is cold beer warm cat and a place to take a poop with a door on it

I had the same thing happen to me in my old car. You will have to go to court for this and talk to the judge so he can dismiss it. You have the woman in front of you as a witness, and that's all you need. Whether a person jetted out in front of her or not, a judge can make that call.

If you had it on video, that would be useful. The policeman can assist you with getting a copy if you find a camera pointed at the scene. You won't need a lawyer for this, just a nice judge, the testimony of the lady in front of you, and if possible the film of the accident.

It won't change much but an at fault point deduction on your license. Your insurance will still go up. That old lady will still not give a **** about either of you. And the cop will keep not preventing crimes from happening.

well atleast you werent in the 5er...that woulda been worse!

I agee, also point out exactly what you said here, that you werent following close, you have a mercedes with antilock brakes that should have prevented the bumping but there was a slick spot...that is THE key issue why you are there!
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

slick abs or not you hit someone else in the rear...your fault followoing too close....I am sorry that it has happened tho
    Gone but not forgotten

Unfortunately for you, most likely it will be ruled your fault, like Paul said. It sucks, but by the letter of the law you're supposed to be far enough away to allow for stopping distance. Most of us don't do it, but probably should. Hope the MB comes out ok.
    Matt J.

'95 540/6- Jim C. chip, Bilsteins, B&B, For Sale!
    -Sold
    www.wichitabmw.com

Thats exactly what the cop said, I'm at fault unless we can get a confirmation on the car in front of the lady. Chances for finding that car are slim so I'm just gonna hope the MB comes out ok.
    InDEuroz | e34 540i/6 '94 w/ bore/stroked m62 | e30 325iS '87 | Ducati 748R '00

maybe her saying that there was a car will be enough...

Good Luck!
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

You're lucky. In Ontario, you'd have been slapped with a Careless Driving charge, which is an automatic charge for anybody who rear-ends someone else.

The W124 was a good one. Bummer.

Jay Lebo - Toronto, Canada
    1990 BMW 535i
    5-speed conversion
    Lightened flywheel
    Sachs Suspension Kit
    E.A.T. Chip

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast