GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Valve cover gaskets - replace or not?

Default Valve cover gaskets - replace or not?

I've got oil leaks from the valve cover seal washers (the rubber bits under the valve cover nuts).

I've got an inspection II imminent so I'll get the valve cover seal washers replaced by my indy during the inspection II.

I'm wondering if people think it would also be worth getting the valve cover gaskets replaced at the same time? Given the age/mileage of my car, and the fact that access will be relatively easy duting the insprection II, would it be foolish not to replace the valve cover gaskets? Or should I tell my indy to only replace the valve cover gaskets if oil has seeped into the spark plug cavities?

Thanks.

I asked the same question a few weeks ago and was told to replace the gasket while I've got the cover off. The gasket was about $25 from the stealer.

Jay Lebo - Toronto, Canada
    1990 BMW 535i
    5-speed conversion
    Lightened flywheel
    Sachs Suspension Kit
    E.A.T. Chip

Will be more like 50 or 60 dollars for all 4 for the V8, but I would do it if you have any doubts about them. most of the work is getting the coils out, so its a good time to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by pingu
    I've got oil leaks from the valve cover seal washers (the rubber bits under the valve cover nuts).

I've got an inspection II imminent so I'll get the valve cover seal washers replaced by my indy during the inspection II.

I'm wondering if people think it would also be worth getting the valve cover gaskets replaced at the same time? Given the age/mileage of my car, and the fact that access will be relatively easy duting the insprection II, would it be foolish not to replace the valve cover gaskets? Or should I tell my indy to only replace the valve cover gaskets if oil has seeped into the spark plug cavities?

Thanks.
    I never replace that gasket.
    Only once - when it came with head gasket kit for head rebuild.

deleted air conditioning