GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My E34 540

Default My E34 540

Here are a few pics of my new ride... Can anyone positively identify those wheels? Are they Rondel 58s or are they Genuine BMW wheels....?

Note** EMBEDDED MUSIC**
    http://users.adelphia.net/~cpkver8/
    Last edited by Jehu; 05-26-2006 at 11:16 PM.

Looks great! Those are Rondell wheels, not the OEM BMW ones from the E39 530i. I like those more because of the huge lip...but I like the OEM ones because of the rivets...tough choice!

1992 525i 5 speed (Calypso/Parchment) - 1989 525iA (Schwartz/Natur) SOLD

Very nice, those wheels have a huge lip! Great find!

Present: Black 1995 525i | Past: Red 1989 535i; Black 1985 535i

Quote Originally Posted by SC David
    Looks great! Those are Rondell wheels, not the OEM BMW ones from the E39 530i. I like those more because of the huge lip...but I like the OEM ones because of the rivets...tough choice!
    The Independant BMW shop to which i brought the car for a Pre Purchace Inspection insists these wheels should not be on this car. I have the 50 mph shimmy so while i've been too busy with work to take it to a shop even for the State Safety Inspection, i am still trying to gain as much information as i can to know in which direction to move to fix it.I am told by some these are aftermarket wheels and if they contribute to the shimmy, hubcentric rings will fix it. Others say the hubcentric rings will only fit with Genuine BMW wheels so if these aren't then no luck. I imagine someone with a machine shop could manufacture some custom hubcentric rings if that would reduce the shakeing. The seller replaced the tie rod ends and a rear sway bar bushing. The PPI shop said it also needed upper caster arms and bushings but the seller overlooked that. A friend who owns a 2000 528 said he had warped rims and had to replace them to fix his shimmy but still has a slight vibration at times. I want this car to get right. I don't care what needs to be replaced, i'm not looking to cut corners or save money. I'll take it in for the state inspection to a local BMW dealership and bring any information they give me about repairs to the seller and see if he's willing to work with me toward getting this car stable. Everything else seems fine..
    Last edited by Jehu; 05-27-2006 at 12:18 AM.

Well, the only reason you would need hubcentric rings is if the wheels weren't fitted for your car in the first place. If you are running E39 wheels, which is a possibility, then you would need hubcentric rings to fill in the gap in the hub. E39's have a 74.1mm hub I believe, while E34's have a 72.56mm hub. If you do need these you can go to www.tirerack.com and search for part Tirerack part #A670, which are the rings you're looking for. But if the wheels were made for an E34/32/38 etc, then they may be bent which could be causing the shimmy.

However, your best bet is to replace some of your suspension components. Thrust arm bushings are a common replacement that usually help eliminate the 50mph shimmy. Get those replaced with the 750iL bushings, as they are a better upgrade. If neither of those solve your problem then the shimmy could be caused by any number of components in the E34's oh-so complex front suspension.

1992 525i 5 speed (Calypso/Parchment) - 1989 525iA (Schwartz/Natur) SOLD

It maybe nothing wrong except those tires/wheels are out of balance, will have the same shimmy as bad trust arm bushings. I would check for balanec and see if there are and bend wheels and if they do need hubcentric rings, wheels should stay in the middle when all the lugs are out, not drop down.
    94/540i/173k Miles original engine

looks like you need some new brake pads and rotors too

Quote Originally Posted by Jehu
    The PPI shop said it also needed upper caster arms and bushings but the seller overlooked that.
    That would be the thrust arms, as David has said. They're notorious for causing the shimmy. If you had a PPI at a good shop and they reported that they need replaced, that's probably the culprit. I would start there. Also consider a Hunter Road Force balance for the wheels, if they were only spin balanced the RFB may help eliminate further vibration problems. Here's a link to find a shop that has one.
    http://www.gsp9700.com/pub/search/FindGSP9700.cfm

The wheels should sit tightly on the hub. Jack it up, pull the lugolts on one wheel, and see if it is loose on the hub. If it is, you need hubcentric rings.
    Matt J.

'95 540/6- Jim C. chip, Bilsteins, B&B, For Sale!
    -Sold
    www.wichitabmw.com

freezin ass cold WI formerly freezin ass cold MN

Those are definetly Rondell 58's and there's no reason they shouldn't be on your car

95 540 six speed, Rondell 58 wheels, nothin else special
    79 911 SC - pea soup green

Thanks! Finally someone who sounds like they actually know what they're talking about , as far as the shimmy goes that is...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast