GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Steering Wheel installation question....(m)

Default Steering Wheel installation question....(m)

Thought I would check in with my long lost homies on the E-34 board. A question to those that have changed their steering wheels. This is specific to the E-46 and therefore the answer maybe a bit different then the E-34 but perhaps not.

I have a M-tech tri-colored stitching steering wheel on order and will be installing it shortly...one of the most tasteful upgrades from the std. sport wheel. When installing the wheel does the column switch (looks like a hockey puck with connectors) or the wheel itself require any di-electric paste for lubrication and to maintain good continuity for the steering wheel radio controls, horn etc? If so, will regular di-electric paste like that used for spark plug and coil connections work fine or is there another product that is preferred to keep the wheel from sqeaking and still maintain a good connection?

Thanks and hope all my Bimmerhead buddies have a good holiday weekend!
    George

Copper paste is the preferred method George for the E34's.....but I think its like the other unobtainium metals and has gone the way of Gummi Pledge.

ha, ha....Scott and I were talking about the fact that you can't leave well enough alone!!! ha, ha, ha....good on ya!

I love the fact that you can't leave well enough alone! It only shows your desire to modify to ones personal taste. Plus the fact that you are a true craftsman in the sense and an excellent debater on the board. Those of us that have been around certainly miss the color that you are able to provide to bring this board to light.

It's good to hear from you, especially about modifications of the newly acquired E46. The spirit lives, long live the spirit. As usual, my post offers no help whatsoever, but leaves the post wide open for some good conversation. You have always been a part of this board, just because you've got an E46, why should that make a difference??? =)

Have a good weekend George, enjoy that wheel....

Jr

(ps...you coming to Chicago for the 10th?)

Default Ha!....

That's a dumb question JR! Of course he's NOT coming. Has he EVER made the drive? He has family here he is trying to avoid. Don't let George's hankering to modify his E46 fool you. All he does is stare at it in the garage.

Quote Originally Posted by Jr ///M5
    (ps...you coming to Chicago for the 10th?)

I know, it was a lame attempt, but I'm tired of begging the bastard to come down to the event, and every year he just ignores us like always....(now I know he's not going to show up!) (he probably won't even respond to our posts now...)

Blink George, dammit blink....

Default Hi George,

I don't think that you'll need any of the paste for yours, as new as it is if it uses copper paste on the slipring you won't need to add any, just smear it around back into the path where its wiped clean or wipe it off the old wheel and onto the new.
    I have the instructions that i copied a long time ago and went to go find them again but they are gone. Fortunately the wayback machine still had them. The pics will take a while to load but its all still there. Here's the m3 wheel link

Quote Originally Posted by George M
    Thought I would check in with my long lost homies on the E-34 board. A question to those that have changed their steering wheels. This is specific to the E-46 and therefore the answer maybe a bit different then the E-34 but perhaps not.

I have a M-tech tri-colored stitching steering wheel on order and will be installing it shortly...one of the most tasteful upgrades from the std. sport wheel. When installing the wheel does the column switch (looks like a hockey puck with connectors) or the wheel itself require any di-electric paste for lubrication and to maintain good continuity for the steering wheel radio controls, horn etc? If so, will regular di-electric paste like that used for spark plug and coil connections work fine or is there another product that is preferred to keep the wheel from sqeaking and still maintain a good connection?

Thanks and hope all my Bimmerhead buddies have a good holiday weekend!
    George

George...George...who da hell is George?
    Gone but not forgotten

Hi Guys,
    What kind of psyche you using on me JR?...lol. Is that double reverse psychology? Hope all is well with everybody. Will only mod the E-46 slightly and will post some pics when its done. The car is great...comfortable...lots of room to stretch out...pretty fast...looks good and really corners nice. Hard to ask for much more really. Could use slightly stiffer swaybars but honestly I won't push it that hard...well sometimes The E-46 with sport suspension and staggered wheels with 245's in back is set up to push (understeer) but still at a pretty high limit which as most know is the safest way to set up street cars and stay in business. BMW does so deliberately with all the boy racers buying 3 series. Speaking of same, you guys know that asking for advice on a 3 series E-46 board is like talking to the wall. Why I come here for real advice. Thank you Bill as always for your expertise about these cars. Many aftermarket companies out there offer a thicker rear bar...and a better combination bar thickness ratio which puts a bit more traction up front for better turn in. UUC makes a nice adjustable sway bar set which makes the handling more neutral. Best change is the steering wheel. The stock sport wheel is pretty skimmy and there is a guy in Europe selling the replacement M-tech wheels at a very reasonable price.
    Perhaps the most surprising thing is honestly my almost new E-46 really doesn't drive much better then my E-32 with 150k miles on it. Granted the E-32 had a fresh suspension and a rebuilt M-30 but had one fewer speed automatic and a lot more weight. My E-32 really drove beautifully which belied the 13 year difference between the cars...a pretty remarkable statement. The biggest difference was the confidence instilled by the R&P steering on the E-46. At speed the effort really firms up and the car is a rock over 100 mph. So you guys with your nice E-34's...no need to run off and get an E-46...not really much different only newer....those that own both know.
    Wishing my car buddies a relaxing holiday and happy cruising. Indy is one of my favorite events all year...can't wait.
    George
    PS: Thanks again Bill and great to hear from you guys
    Last edited by George M; 05-26-2006 at 05:43 PM.