GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: 530iT Instrument Cluster Removal

Default 530iT Instrument Cluster Removal

Hi guys,
    I am in the process of removing the instrument cluster in my '94 530iT to replace the bulbs . I am using the instructions from, http://snipurl.com/qzmh but they are for an older car without telescopic column. I haven't even gotten the column cover off yet because it is entirely different than shown. Is there a different link or source for instructions for later E34's?

I have done extensive search and it all leads back to the Bimmernut instructions.
    Thanks, DJ

It should be the same procedure for all e34s:

Take the 2 screws out of the cover from under the steering column
    Unplug the air bag (organe connection)
    Take the two bots out of the back of the steering wheel and take the cover off
    Unplug the air bag (organe connection)
    Mark the steering wheel on the shaft and take wheel off
    Take the two screws out from the top of the instrument cluster

Which step are you having trouble with?

Present: Black 1995 525i | Past: Red 1989 535i; Black 1985 535i

Default disconnect the battery or

you'll be in SRS hell

Vee ave vays of dealing vid your kind...........

ah right i forgot that step, the most important one

Present: Black 1995 525i | Past: Red 1989 535i; Black 1985 535i

Default Some people have had 4 screws or bolts on that column cover and they

had to remove the lower dash cover to get to the other 2 bolts on the column cover, other than that they are essentially the same early to late.
    The torx bolts are t30's on your wheel, and instead of a nut holding the wheel on you have a bolt, other than that the procedure is the same. Don't forget the remove the rear seat and disconnect the battery before starting the procedure. That first procedure was mine that i wrote a long time ago and many many many people have screwed up by not disconnecting the battery and then they have to have the srs reset.

Quote Originally Posted by Spasso
    Hi guys,
    I am in the process of removing the instrument cluster in my '94 530iT to replace the bulbs . I am using the instructions from, http://snipurl.com/qzmh but they are for an older car without telescopic column. I haven't even gotten the column cover off yet because it is entirely different than shown. Is there a different link or source for instructions for later E34's?

I have done extensive search and it all leads back to the Bimmernut instructions.
    Thanks, DJ

I disconnected the battery first thing as per....

Not one to start ripping and prying on things I was wondering why things weren't "just popping apart" like in the instructions. Interior work is not my specialty and how things are assembled isn't always obvious. Broken interior parts are even harder to find than most

There was only one screw on the underside of the column which when removed didn't do much to loosen the cover. That's where I was having the problem. The damn column cover wasn't coming off.

I found another screw in the top half of the cover and it didn't do much to loosen anything either.

I finally thought about removing the lower dash panel to look for more screws or bolts. After finally figuring out to (pry) the wood trim off to get to the rest of the screws for that (another puzzle in itself), the knee guard came off after that.

NO more screws down there so I figured the top and bottom half of the column cover just snapped together so I started down at the bottom where the "damage" would be hidden if I broke anything and started splitting it apart.

I worked my way up one side and then the other. I just hope it all snaps back the way it was. The top half stayed on the car.

The rest came apart easily, no exploding airbags, got new bulbs at NAPA and should have it back together in short order.

The best thing about the whole excersise is not having to use a puller to get the wheel off.

Thanks for the help.
    DJ