GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: trans prog issue

Default trans prog issue

My car recently has given me the trans prog a few times. Originally, it was due to low fluid, because my dumbass friend re-used my old gasket when we did my trans filter, and it leaked everywhere. I replaced it with a new one, refilled and everything was fine. On the way home from work today, after warming up and cruisign at ~40 for 5 minutes or so, the trans prog came on. I turned the car off, and then immediately re started it, and drove 8 more minutes home with no trans prog issues. The car runs good, and it seems random. I read the e34.net article on the trans prog, but i dont know where to start. I read the fuel pump relay/fuse may affect it, think this could also cause me hesitant starting intermittently? Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by TwoWheelJay
    My car recently has given me the trans prog a few times. Originally, it was due to low fluid, because my dumbass friend re-used my old gasket when we did my trans filter, and it leaked everywhere. I replaced it with a new one, refilled and everything was fine. On the way home from work today, after warming up and cruisign at ~40 for 5 minutes or so, the trans prog came on. I turned the car off, and then immediately re started it, and drove 8 more minutes home with no trans prog issues. The car runs good, and it seems random. I read the e34.net article on the trans prog, but i dont know where to start. I read the fuel pump relay/fuse may affect it, think this could also cause me hesitant starting intermittently? Thanks!
    Well, perhaps it is the culprit.
    Contacts 85 and 86 of the relay are responsible for the actuation. If the current does not take place in them the ECU gives "Trans Prog" message. This is easily seen by using a jumper to operate the fuel pump while driving - "Trans Prog" shows up as soon as one starts accelerating...

deleted air conditioning

if you have never replace the DME and fuel pump relays, do it.

your car will thank you.

also, double check the fluid levels in case they are low.

could you please tell me where those relays are located? i looked at my fuse panel, but i couldnt find anything on the cover that named the larger relays, only the fuses.

Quote Originally Posted by TwoWheelJay
    could you please tell me where those relays are located? i looked at my fuse panel, but i couldnt find anything on the cover that named the larger relays, only the fuses.
    The relay for fuel pump is located in E-Box at passenger's side of engine compartment between the firewall and shock tower. You need to undo four "philips" screws at corners on the side of the cover.

You can search further for "fuel pump relay" in the forum as there had been a few pictures posted in threads questioning identification which of the three or two found in the box it happens to be...

deleted air conditioning

ok thanks! i was lookign in the other fuse box, the one on the drivers side.