GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: buying a first car

I think it's something you should try after driving other cars.
    I took driving lessons in all kinds of cars and even a truck.
    My first car was an e30 316i and I kept it for 8 months untill I saw it was too far gone to restore it. So I went to search out the most durable chassis type combined with a fairly low maintenance engine and The best option for me turned out to be the e34 520i with the M50 engine.
    Either way, it's like I tell lots of people when they say "nice car": You should either have a big wallet or be prepared to do lots of research yourself if you want to keep a car like this one.
    The driving experience is worth it though, and I wake up thinking "Yay! I can drive my car to work today!"
    As far as research is concerned: I'm a newbie here, but I get the idea that this is an awesome forum to get info and even slightly being a part of such a community is heartwarming.

First car, so I assume you're young. You're looking at older BMWs, so I assume you're not a spoiled rich kid (a good thing). Basically, in your spot, don't even think about an older BMW unless you can/will DIY. Shop rates for a BMW can easily reach $100/hr, which typically hurts far worse than the parts cost. These cars are pretty easy to work on, and you have a great support system on here, but if you pay someone to do the work it will eat you alive.

That said, it depends on what you want. E30s are very cheap, as in $3-4k for a good one. Small, and much more of a go-kart. E34 is still sporty and fun to drive, but you can't entirely hide it's larger weight and size. The upside to that is you can haul your friends in comfort. Whatever you get, find the best example of it you can. A project BMW is a great way to lose money. Maintenance records are a huge plus, and consider paying a BMW expert to inspect it, it could be money well spent.
    Matt J.

'95 540/6- Jim C. chip, Bilsteins, B&B, For Sale!
    -Sold
    www.wichitabmw.com

Quote Originally Posted by onewhippedpuppy
    First car, so I assume you're young. You're looking at older BMWs, so I assume you're not a spoiled rich kid (a good thing). Basically, in your spot, don't even think about an older BMW unless you can/will DIY. Shop rates for a BMW can easily reach $100/hr, which typically hurts far worse than the parts cost.
    Unless you know a shop that'll charge you $20 per hour, finds parts in german car junkyards or straight out of Germany, like I do. Still, DIY is most rewarding. It makes me feel very manly .

You learn pretty quick too: I knew absolutely zero about cars in general 8 months ago. After a few problems with my e30 I learned real quick.

Quote Originally Posted by onewhippedpuppy
    These cars are pretty easy to work on, and you have a great support system on here, but if you pay someone to do the work it will eat you alive.
    Matt is right. If you don't do it yourself, plan on $2,000 a year in repairs.

And regarding Paul's comment about an e34 not being appropriate as a first car, we have 3 members of this forum who are 16 and this is their first car and they seem to be doing fine with it. Pyro bought his for $1000 and overcame incredible hurdles to getting running--an amazing learning experience for him. I couldn't do it, but he was determined. Pyro, McWatters, and Alexlind123 seem to have very happy experiences with their e34s first cars.
    Last edited by Gayle; 05-26-2006 at 06:45 AM.
    Dinan chip, Bilstein sports w H&R, RD sways, RD strut brace, 750 bushings, Zimmermans/MetalMasters, O.E. M Pars, Eisenmann muffler

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12