GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Surge at 50-60 mph....

Default Surge at 50-60 mph....

I have a surge that occurs when climbing a hill or when the engine is under a load.
    Very gentle but noticable.
    That is the only time it does it-wife's car, wife's explanation.

I haven't cleaned the throttle body yet and was going to get some Redline Fuel Injector cleaner to start.....not as easy to find locally as I thought.
    I heard Advance Auto Parts carried it....not around here.

Thanks for your time.

Default uh oh....

might want to compare the symptoms in this bulletin to the symptoms being exhibited, maybe you should test drive it and see what it does first hand

http://plaza.ufl.edu/rroopnar/SI%20%...pter%20Cas.PDF

redline fuel injector cleaner can be obtained at pepboys (for sure) or any autozone that has the redline water wetter as well.
    "..Torchinski v. Peterson that it is legal to carry a concealed weapon, so long the weapon is totally slick like a huge ass machine gun that you carry under a trench coat, like in the Matrix."

i find a lot of the time full throttle surging is a slow o2 sensor, if yours is original id replace it, at 180k it's past due and should up the mpg a tad, a fuel filter is a good place to start and how old are the plugs i like bosch super F7LDCR or ngk BKR6EK in m50/52/60
    all america wants is cold beer warm cat and a place to take a poop with a door on it

Default New Spark Plugs and fuel filter...

Quote Originally Posted by winfred
    i find a lot of the time full throttle surging is a slow o2 sensor, if yours is original id replace it, at 180k it's past due and should up the mpg a tad, a fuel filter is a good place to start and how old are the plugs i like bosch super F7LDCR or ngk BKR6EK in m50/52/60
    The O2 sensor is definitely a mystery.
    I don't know it's history.
    Definitely a "next on my list", though.

I know it's not a transmission issue, though.

Quote Originally Posted by MO525
    I know it's not a transmission issue, though.

that's why i suggested that you drive the car yourself and find out exactly what speed it occurs at..at one time, my car surged at about 45 mph when held steady (descending hills) over and over again because of a leaking fuel injector....people here have had the Pendulum transmission issue happen to them in the gm tranny on 525is, scott C took some pictures when he rebuilt his to see the orange gasket that fails when the "pendulum" issue occurs...its important that you find out what its doing first hand.
    "..Torchinski v. Peterson that it is legal to carry a concealed weapon, so long the weapon is totally slick like a huge ass machine gun that you carry under a trench coat, like in the Matrix."

Default Will do, Ryan....

Quote Originally Posted by ryan roopnarine
    that's why i suggested that you drive the car yourself and find out exactly what speed it occurs at..at one time, my car surged at about 45 mph when held steady (descending hills) over and over again because of a leaking fuel injector....people here have had the Pendulum transmission issue happen to them in the gm tranny on 525is, scott C took some pictures when he rebuilt his to see the orange gasket that fails when the "pendulum" issue occurs...its important that you find out what its doing first hand.
    It's monsoon season here.
    I'm hoping tomorrow is a bit drier.
    It rains so hard from time to time, you can't hear yourself think inside the car, much less concentrate on hearing/feeling for "problems".
    The wife still swears it's only "going up hills, giving it throttle, 45-50 mph".
    I'll sure keep you posted.
    Thanks for the link...it's still downloading!! Darned Dial-Up.

Default I don't think it's the Pendulum shift problem.....

might want to compare the symptoms in this bulletin to the symptoms being exhibited, maybe you should test drive it and see what it does first hand

redline fuel injector cleaner can be obtained at pepboys (for sure) or any autozone that has the redline water wetter as well.
    EXCELLENT link, Ryan.
    Thanks so much for taking the time to post that.
    I bookmarked it!

I went through the "What to look for's" it appears that the Pendulum shifting issue is not what we're experiencing (THANK goodness).
    Why do I think that?
    RPM variation during the "surge": Is MINUTE, not the "approx. 500 rpm" the tech. bulletin states.
    Cold start-up/shifting: NO problems. No delays and immediate response.
    55-65 mph "hunting": NO problems. The car is a DREAM on the highway.

The surge my wife is speaking of does not act like a "shifting in and out" issue, more like a (for a lack of better terms) "VERY slight and smooth miss".

I WILL drive it on Monday and report back.

Thanks for all the input, folks!!!

It seems mine suffers exactly as described in the bulletin. I have both the "pendulum gear hunting" and the tranny leak.

Labor allowance code is 23. Any idea what that means in hours? Hopefully not 23 hrs........

Thanks for the link....sort of.

Default well....

here are some pics from the old board archive (courtesy of scott council) showing what had to be replaced, methinks its basically a transmission rebuild to fix it, as far as labor time is concerned.

http://www.bimmernut.com/wwwboard/e3...ges/32265.html

Quote Originally Posted by Luftpost
    It seems mine suffers exactly as described in the bulletin. I have both the "pendulum gear hunting" and the tranny leak.

Labor allowance code is 23. Any idea what that means in hours? Hopefully not 23 hrs........

Thanks for the link....sort of.

Default Gulp!

here are some pics from the old board archive (courtesy of scott council) showing what had to be replaced, methinks its basically a transmission rebuild to fix it, as far as labor time is concerned.

http://www.bimmernut.com/wwwboard/e3...ges/32265.html
    Wow, THAT was gut-wrenching.

It appears to me that the gasket curled up/shrank...from some god-awfull amount of heat.....the standard death knell of most automatics.
    Whew.
    That had BIG dollar signs written all over it.

Thanks for another VERY informative link, Ryan!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast