GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hubcentric rings necessary on stock wheels?

Default Hubcentric rings necessary on stock wheels?

I have the BBS-style (I believe that is what they are) stock wheel on my 1993 525i and when I was doing the rear brake job, I noticed the car has hubcentric rings on the back.
    The fronts wheels do not have the rings.
    Do STOCK wheels need them?
    On the E34 site, they mention the rings for retrofitting different-than-stock wheels.
    I'm chasing some pesky vibrations and was wondering if this is something I need to address.

Thanks for your help.

Hubcentric rings are used when putting e39 wheels on an e34.

Some aftermarket wheels such as Rondell use them too. You might see if the rings fit inside the hub bore of the front wheels and carefully try to install them.
    JR
    1992 525 IA, EAT chip, 16 x 7.5 Rondell 58's, BavAuto Springs, Bilstein Sports, Elipsoid Smileys & fogs, Z3 Pistol grip shifter, 4 VDO gauge package, Azure Blue w/nice patina - clearcoat shot

Default Maybe previous owner(s) had aftermarkets?

Quote Originally Posted by JR'Z 525
    Some aftermarket wheels such as Rondell use them too. You might see if the rings fit inside the hub bore of the front wheels and carefully try to install them.
    JR
    At some point.
    I was just concerned whether I needed them all the way around, since I only have them on the rear right now.
    I am chasing a vibration issue right now and I'm just trying to narrow down the possibilities before I throw more money at the car.

What is the correct way to install the hubcentric rings?

(i have a set with 18" wheels now wondering if i did it right)

Unregistered Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Deke NorCal
    What is the correct way to install the hubcentric rings?

(i have a set with 18" wheels now wondering if i did it right)
    I always place the ring inside the wheel hub first and then slide the wheel + ring onto the car as a unit

Default In conclusion....DO I NEED THEM?

Quote Originally Posted by MO525
    I have the BBS-style (I believe that is what they are) stock wheel on my 1993 525i and when I was doing the rear brake job, I noticed the car has hubcentric rings on the back.
    The fronts wheels do not have the rings.
    Do STOCK wheels need them?
    On the E34 site, they mention the rings for retrofitting different-than-stock wheels.
    I'm chasing some pesky vibrations and was wondering if this is something I need to address.

Thanks for your help.
    It sounds as if I don't, since I am using the STOCK BMW wheels for my '93.

Thanks again, folks.

Default Something else to think about...

My Rondell's came with plastic hubcentric rings. I wasn't too hip on plastic rings so I got a set of aluminum rings from Tirerack. I was really surprised to discover that the car rode much worse. When I got home I jacked it up (not using the crossmember of course..) and took a closer look. Seems the bore of the Rondell wheel is just a fuzz larger than the outer diameter of the metal rings. I didn't have a micrometer handy but the plastic ring appeared to be thicker than the metal ring. I have a spare set of plastic rings on order at Bekkers. Although you think you have the stock type BBS wheels, I hope you don't have the same type thing going on with them. Wonder why there was only one ring on the RR?
    JR
    1992 525 IA, EAT chip, 16 x 7.5 Rondell 58's, BavAuto Springs, Bilstein Sports, Elipsoid Smileys & fogs, Z3 Pistol grip shifter, 4 VDO gauge package, Azure Blue w/nice patina - clearcoat shot

Default stock E34 wheels you wont need them,

as for vibration... Been there done that and still am there. A slight shimmy could be many things, tires that arent round, good for a Cadillac but you dont have one, a bent rim, dirt or other stuff on the mating flanges between the rim/rotor/hub, not torquing the rim without weight on it (dont ask) and finally worn thrust arm ball joints (usually more severe). I'd guess that you also have square tires, I havent been happy with my tires since I bought them and the ones that were really bad i deflated and drove on til they were real hot in an effort to get a free replacement. Still have 2 tires that arent round and it pisses me off, Discount tire sucks but so do a majority of others, if you know someone at a tire store become buddys and have them spinn the tires, look and see how out of round they are, youll probably be surprized. Try to switch them around till the shimmy lessens and you isolate the bad offenders and then go to the tire joint and complain.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Default I've done most of the "standard" E34 vibration fixes...

Quote Originally Posted by 632 Regal
    as for vibration... Been there done that and still am there. A slight shimmy could be many things, tires that arent round, good for a Cadillac but you dont have one, a bent rim, dirt or other stuff on the mating flanges between the rim/rotor/hub, not torquing the rim without weight on it (dont ask) and finally worn thrust arm ball joints (usually more severe). I'd guess that you also have square tires, I havent been happy with my tires since I bought them and the ones that were really bad i deflated and drove on til they were real hot in an effort to get a free replacement. Still have 2 tires that arent round and it pisses me off, Discount tire sucks but so do a majority of others, if you know someone at a tire store become buddys and have them spinn the tires, look and see how out of round they are, youll probably be surprized. Try to switch them around till the shimmy lessens and you isolate the bad offenders and then go to the tire joint and complain.
    EXCEPT replacing the tires.
    I had them balanced but they're still VERY worn (Michelin's).
    I have a good local shop who is usually on-the-ball but who's to say if he was paying too much attention to anything but installing weights that day.
    Tires are definitely on my list of "to-do's".
    Already have: New Thrust Arms, New Sway bar end links, Tightened nut on steering column, New Guibo and had car checked out by local Indy Beemer shop.

So NO hubcentric rings on stock wheels? Imagine that.
    Well, I'll pull the wheels tomorrow and measure everything, "just in case" and remove them.
    They're only on the rear and they're aluminum.

Thanks for all the input!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast