GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Help NO Fuel

Default Help NO Fuel

I have a E34 520I, with German Specs. The other day whild driving, it cut off and would not start. I checked the fuel and there is no fuel from the FPR, nor is there fuel from the fuel pump. I checked the connector to the fuel pump and there is 11 volts or so coming from the plug but there is nothing coming from the pump. I also replaced the pump but there is still no fuel flow. So before I take my "Baby" to a German BMW shop can someone help me figure why I am not getting any fuel to my engine. I thought it might be the fuel pump relay, but that is ok because I am getting power to the plug but not into the pump. Is there some safety mechanism or part that would keep the pump from working even though there is power to the plug.

PLEASE HELP

"Stuck in Germany"

You need to have someone listen if pump is running when you crank the starter.If it isn't you've got a siezed pump, if it is maybe the output hose from the pump is disconnected at the pump, so pull pump out and check.

You have power to the pump, and a new pump and still no fuel? check the ground from the pump.

Or, though it sounds silly, are you sure you have gas in the tank? Seen quite a few cars come in on the hook with bad fuel tank sending units and no gas.

Also, 11 volts is enuogh to run the fuel pump, but it is low battery voltage. Get the battery and alternator checked asap.
    Last edited by joshua43214; 05-24-2006 at 05:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mamilapon
    You need to have someone listen if pump is running when you crank the starter.If it isn't you've got a siezed pump, if it is maybe the output hose from the pump is disconnected at the pump, so pull pump out and check.

Question though. Can it really be something else? When I plug in the connector, i checked the +/- on the pump but there is no power to the pump at all. THere is power to the plug, can there be something else. No there is no prime when u crank the car.

Quote Originally Posted by joshua43214
    You have power to the pump, and a new pump and still no fuel? check the ground from the pump.

Or, though it sounds silly, are you sure you have gas in the tank? Seen quite a few cars come in on the hook with bad fuel tank sending units and no gas.

Also, 11 volts is enuogh to run the fuel pump, but it is low battery voltage. Get the battery and alternator checked asap.

It has gas, my hands have been swimming in it since I started messing with this thing. Fuel tank sending unit, the part that tells how much fuel is in the tank. I have treid everything I know how, but I dont where else to check.

I don't get it... you said you got 12V at the plug that goes into the fuel pump... and then you said the fuel pump is not working? is that fuel pump new?

11V is not good... maybe you need a new battery too.

Anti theft system?
    In case the (in German) Wegfahrsperre is active by fault, the system stops the powr supply to the fuel pumps.
    Wiring diagrams from a 1992 E34, I do not have the one from a 1990.

http://www.e38.org/e34/e34_92_etm.pdf

OK, let me get this straight. you have power to the plug on the top of the tank unit, but you have no power to the terminals on the pump itself.

Not sure what to say, you only have about 3inches of wire to check, you should be able to find the open easily.

Have you given the elec receptacle on the pump a good clean?Wiggled the connection with 12v on?

11 volts is low. Also, whats the amperage value it is possible to have voltage available but no amperage. The relay could possibly be worn and have high resistance internally. I would change the relay just to be sure. Also, have a friend bang on the fule tank from underneath while cranking the engine. 9 times out of 10, if the fuel pump is stuck this will jar it loose. Of course, you will still need a replacement if that is the case. Hope some of this helps.

-Ben