GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: injection pump tuning...

Default injection pump tuning...

the problem is that the pump is pumping a little too much for the turbo , so i get some smoke when i floor it. am i supposed to move the cover forward? or is it backward?
    thanks

huh?

doesnt the pump do whatever the hell it wants and the fuel pressure regulator sort the rest out?

not 100% sure how diesel fuel systems work, but if you add about 6oz of pure Acetone to a full tank it should sort out the smoke issue.

as far as i know there is no FPR on a diesel. just the pump. it is spun by the timing belt/chain and it fires one injector at a time according to the engine timing. never heard of this acetone trick, and i realy don't see how this can take care of smoke...
    smoke is a result of unburnt diesel (running rich). i guess it's gonna run rich with 6oz of acetone in the tank too, and then smoke will be unburnt diesel+acetone.

the acetone changes the surface tension of the fuel, and also creates more vapor in the cylinder, which allows better combustion of hydrocarbons.

Acetone also contains some oxygen - this might help combustion in the same way that nitromethane does, and so help reduce soot formation.

a boost leak or dirty air filter can make a diesel smoke more
    all america wants is cold beer warm cat and a place to take a poop with a door on it

air filter is 500 km old, intake gaskets were changed in november so those two seam out of the question. i cheked for boost leaks at both ends of the big turbo-to-intake hose by moving my hand around the hose while holding the fan and there are no visible leaks. i'll recheck tomorow. anyhow it only smokes when i floor it and i am almost certain the pump isn't properly adjusted. kind of hard to get it right without taking it off the car. i could simply go to a diesel shop and have them do it but i prefer the DIY way over any shop/service/dealer...
    Anyhow, thanks for the advice guys
    P.S :love the sig winfred, best one yet

id need to get my hands on it to be of more use, never even seen a e34 diesel and am not sure what type of pump they run but would love to play with one, they all have their tricks and tweaks, like my truck, the only thing keeping me from dialing up about another 75 hp and 200 foot pounds of torque is i don't have the cash for a clutch that will handle it at the moment

Quote Originally Posted by skr
    i could simply go to a diesel shop and have them do it but i prefer the DIY way over any shop/service/dealer...
    Anyhow, thanks for the advice guys
    P.S :love the sig winfred, best one yet
    all america wants is cold beer warm cat and a place to take a poop with a door on it