GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: AC Repair Insight Needed

Default AC Repair Insight Needed

I need to have my condensor replaced as the fitting at the lower left (looking from front) cracked at leaked my freon and lubricant out. Last time I had the system charged the comment was made that my compressor was louder than normal and may also need to be replace in the future, so I was planning on doing this at the same time. I also understand the drier needs to be replaced whenever the system is opened up. I was thinking about doing the mechanical work myself and then taking the vehicle to an AC shop to be charged.

My questions are:

1) Looking through the Bently manual this all loooks fairly straight forward for a DIY job. IHowever, is there a trick way to get the condensor out without taking off the front bunber and grill?

2) Anything I should know before getting into this job? Should I replace all o-rings I encounter? Any other precautions or words of warning.

3) Any suggestions on a good source of parts? Should I use new or rebuilt compressor? Any brands to stay away from?

Any other tips, techniques, gotcha's would be appreciated.

1994 525i, 160,000 miles, manual
    94 E34 525i M50, Manual, 200,000 Miles
    02 E39 530i M54, Auto, 85,000 Miles

I have to do an almost identical repair.

I think removing the front bumber is the only way to remove the condensor. Removing the bumper is actually easy, it slides forward and off after a couple of bolts.

I have to replace condensor and possibly 1 or 2 hard lines, and the drier, then I'll take it for a free test to see if it holds pressure, then I'll pay to have it filled.

Keep posting on how you make your way through this. My '94 525 has some sort of leak. I temporarily fixed it with a can of 134a with the charge gage obtained from Advance Auto. I plan to get dye and charge it again and go forward from there. Judging from the 175K and the fact I just replaced the radiator and trans oil cooler within the last year, my condensor is on the short list.

Quote Originally Posted by GoldenEagleFan
    I need to have my condensor replaced as the fitting at the lower left (looking from front) cracked at leaked my freon and lubricant out. Last time I had the system charged the comment was made that my compressor was louder than normal and may also need to be replace in the future, so I was planning on doing this at the same time. I also understand the drier needs to be replaced whenever the system is opened up. I was thinking about doing the mechanical work myself and then taking the vehicle to an AC shop to be charged.

My questions are:

1) Looking through the Bently manual this all loooks fairly straight forward for a DIY job. IHowever, is there a trick way to get the condensor out without taking off the front bunber and grill?

2) Anything I should know before getting into this job? Should I replace all o-rings I encounter? Any other precautions or words of warning.

3) Any suggestions on a good source of parts? Should I use new or rebuilt compressor? Any brands to stay away from?

Any other tips, techniques, gotcha's would be appreciated.

1994 525i, 160,000 miles, manual

If your spending that much on it, see if you can budget in the hoses too, you will thank yourself later. The only problem you may run into is sometimes the fitings seize onto the condensor. not a major issue since you are replaceing it, just let them break off and use a socket to remove the fitting from the hose.

You must take the buumper and grill off to get the condensor out - you also have to remove the Aux fan.

I just had a pressure test done and they found a leak in the same place on my condensor. I am going to replace it myself. I was told the compressor is louder than it should be but I don't agree, and am going to leave it in for the time being.

Not sure what condensor I'm going to buy but this drier looks ok. Anyone else agree? I am planning on replacing all o rings. Is there somewhere I can buy the entire set of o rings for the a/c system? My local auto parts store has a large box of o rings for $20 that looks ok.

What about the oil? Should I buy some to put in the system or does the shop do that with a recharge?

I have been researching the subject on the board the past week and found the consensus is that replacing with used parts is not a good idea.

Present: Black 1995 525i | Past: Red 1989 535i; Black 1985 535i

Default Huh??

Changed out the condensor in less than an hour by removing the radiator from the inside.

drain coolant

unclip shroud

remove hoses and trans cooler lines

uncilp radiator and remove

uncilp side shrouds

remove the passenger side access panel by the fog light and remove the fittings

remove the two bolts at the top of the condensor

tilt condensor to the rear and un plug the aux fan.

and it's out!

Vee ave vays of dealing vid your kind...........

Default I replaced the

condensor, drier, and compressor on my car.

Shop around for the parts, make sure they have BMW part#s to help make sure you get the right stuff. (drier and condensor will pretty much fit all E34s, it's the compressor that has to be matched to that application)

I picked up some O rings from an A/C shop and also the dealer. (Gotta be for A/C, not hardware store stuff)

Buy extras, cause if you drop one...they tend to disappear, and you don't want the system sitting open while you run off to find more O rings.

The noisy compressor may be low on oil. You can drain the oil look at it and replace it. Don't just add, too much is just as bad as too little. you need to add the right amount and type of oil for that compressor.

Be advised, that refrigeration work is not something to jump into without a some experianced help/guidance and proper tools....you can spend $$$ refixing stuff, or frost bite.

Vee ave vays of dealing vid your kind...........

Much appreciated sir.

Present: Black 1995 525i | Past: Red 1989 535i; Black 1985 535i

I have all of these items for sale from a 1992 BMW 525i everything looks to be in good shape and worked when removed from teh car.

In fact I have 2 compressors if you'd need them.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast