GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: E28 TRX??? And clutch question

Default E28 TRX??? And clutch question

Hey everybody - I just wanted to know if I have to use the TRX wheels with the stock E28 rims?

This is the car:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=4642931526

Can someone let me know about that?

Also - I got a replacement sachs clutch for the car and it seems to be rusted from sitting. I was wondering if it was OK to use. The throw-out bearing is fine with no rust, just the plate and the clutch housing.

-Thank you all, Artem

First, the best "upgrade" you can do is get rid of those awful, and obscenely expensive, TRX tires and rims. Do yourself a favor and get some E34 bottlecaps, cross spokes or any other decent rim that uses regular old tires. One of my buddies even uses a 16" wheel from an E38 7 Series, slick!

As for the clutch, if you're going to the trouble of taking everything apart, why screw around with what sounds like a USED throw-out bearing. How much is a new one, like $40-45? Don't be cheap, its not worth it.

You may also want to replace the pilot bearing while you got everything apart. Do it right, once and be done with it for the next hundred thousand miles!

The 528e in the ebay ad didn't have TRX wheels from the factory, it had 195/70-14's.

Paul Shovestul

Quote Originally Posted by ArtemLepilov
    Hey everybody - I just wanted to know if I have to use the TRX wheels with the stock E28 rims?

This is the car:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=4642931526

Can someone let me know about that?

Also - I got a replacement sachs clutch for the car and it seems to be rusted from sitting. I was wondering if it was OK to use. The throw-out bearing is fine with no rust, just the plate and the clutch housing.

-Thank you all, Artem
    .....Got to keep the loonies on the paath.

sounds good. Those tires will probably be cheap then.

I have a new throw-out bearing, but no pilot bearing, so that part we probably need.

-Thank you all Artem

check the size on the side of the tyres that are on the car...trx will have strange numbers....not the recognizeable 15 or 16
    Gone but not forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by Paul in NZ
    check the size on the side of the tyres that are on the car...trx will have strange numbers....not the recognizeable 15 or 16
    Yep stock metrics are VR200 (equiv to a normal 205x16VR tyre), later 535i and M535i, 635csi and early M6 came with VR220- obviously eqivalent to a 25x16VR rated tyre). All our cars shoudl be fitted with VR or ZR rated tyres or they won't be able to handle the speed the spedo indicates...

Avon Turbospeeds are the cheapest but are **** in comparison to the original Michelin TRX. I don't know if anyone else makes them, many other manufacturers specced metric wheels around that time though; ie Jaguar, Aston Martin... all the try-hards. BMW changed their minds pretty quick when the technology got left behind, but whilst it lasted metric tyres helped them sell cars (I expect)- just something else to ******** about perhaps. Nice thing I found- my 535i actually drove a lot better when I put non-metric updated alloys (w cheap Falken tyres) on it Nick

Join the Aussie
    540i LE yahoo forum

08/88 535i e34 M30+miller MAF, 'stiens, tints & teeth!

BMW changed their minds pretty quick when the technology got left behind, but whilst it lasted metric tyres helped them sell cars (I expect)-
    In good old NZ even 93 and 94 540s still had metric wheels.My 535 has still got a metric spare and its huge.....
    Gone but not forgotten

Sounds good. Will check the car out sometime later this week and if we buy it, i will get some pics

-Artem