GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Engine trouble today - Need help please

Default Engine trouble today - Need help please

This morning I got ready to leave for school and when I tried to start my car something went terribly wrong. So the engine acted like it was going to turn over then decided to turn off, I repeated this a few times all with the same result. Of course, when my dad came out to check on it it started just fine, but I haven't heard the end of it with this problem. After finals were over and I was about to leave the same thing happened, car acted like it was going to start then suddenly the engine stopped. As before, the car came on but is idling weak. So, pushing my luck, I went to lunch and my car started fine afterwards, but then again, it was only about 30 minutes later.

I do know that the oil is due to be changed but that would cause my problem would it? Spark plugs perhaps? Any help you guys can offer is greatly appreciated.

By the way, my car started and was running fine yesturday.

-Patrick
    Last edited by pgrindstaff; 05-22-2006 at 10:23 AM.

sounds like you have a lot of stuff that should be replaced...maintenance items.

fuel filter, plugs, plug boots, air filter along with an oil change. theres a lot more to be done but this should at least freshen up the fuel/ignition areas and hopefully it will run more dependably for you.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Quote Originally Posted by 632 Regal
    sounds like you have a lot of stuff that should be replaced...maintenance items.

fuel filter, plugs, plug boots, air filter along with an oil change. theres a lot more to be done but this should at least freshen up the fuel/ignition areas and hopefully it will run more dependably for you.
    Thanks for the reply. I may try to change the oil tonight plugs shouldn't be hard either, too bad there is so much that will break at once.

there isnt, thats why they are maintenance items.
    Quote Originally Posted by pgrindstaff
    too bad there is so much that will break at once.
    Make sure the engine isnt hot when you do the plugs or you might gall the threads.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Quote Originally Posted by 632 Regal
    there isnt, thats why they are maintenance items.
    Make sure the engine isnt hot when you do the plugs or you might gall the threads.
    Silly question I guess and yes, I did look at other threads regarding spark plugs, but how do you feel about NGK Standard Plug, BKR6EK? It not an Iridium plug but those would be $10/e for Champion Iridium plugs.

I really appreciate your help, maybe one day I'll get a clue about my car

Either the bosch or NGK dual electrode copper plug is fine. Don't Champions in you BMW, save them for your Dodge.

Also, when you discuss you starting problem, can you use better wording?

Turn over is when you turn the key and the engine cranks.
    Cranking is the same as turning over
    Starting is when the car actualy starts, as opposed to turning over.
    Stalling is when the engine stops running after it has started.
    Hard starting is when the engine cranks, but is slow to start

You crank the car until it starts.

When you say "the engine acted like it was going to turn over then decided to turn off" it is hard to interpret what you are meaning. did the car not crank? or did it crank and not start? did it hard start then stall?

starter relay?

Sorry for the poor description of my problem, its actually quite hard to explain but I'll try again. When I turn the key I hear the engine start but then it immediately dies. If you have ever seen Gone in 60 Seconds it is a very similar sound to what elenor makes, but my car actually starts, for about a second. I did not get a chance last night to check/change the plugs or change the oil but I did go put half a tank of premium(92) in with about half a tank of mid-grade gas. This morning my car started fine, stry. Bad tank of gas maybe? Although I am not convinced that my problem is fixed my car is now starting without problems.

I looked through the service records from the past two owners and found that the spark plugs had been replaced in 1996 or 1998, so I would guess they need to be replaced. I am also planning on replacing the fuel filters, I just have to crawl under my car to see which ones. It was also suggested that I replace the ignition wires, but I haven't been able to find them, just the coils which I really do not want to replace.

Hopefully this makes more sense, I tried

you have a 530

it doesnt have ignition wires.

there are 2 fuel filters part # 13 32 1 720 102 in the back right behind the wheel, about 1 foot towards the left of the car.

if you have never replaced them, DO IT NOW!

also, iridium spark plugs work very well with the M60, and you are in dire need of plugs if they are 8 years old.

you may also want to get new Motronic and Fuel Pump relays, as they can cause severe problems if worn (like after 12 years)

If the plugs are 8 years old, you may want to prepare your self for plug boots, especialy if they have oil on them from a leaky valve cover.

OK, I think I am following your description, let me try to rephrase it. You turn the key and the engine cranks, it then starts and when you release the key, it stalls. Try this, when you release the key, release it slowly rather than letting go of it. It possible that the lock or the switch is worn and it is snapping to far back when you release the key. I only mention this since your father is able to start the car with no problem and may handle the key differently.

Get the tune up in order before you dig beyond this, the whole problem could easily be caused by cloged fuel filters.

Really need to be clear on whether the car runs with the key in the start position and stalls in the run position, this will narrow the search a bit.

The sound Eleanor makes is cranking and not starting BTW.

Nick "I'ts just a scratch Eleanor, it can be fixed"
    Eleanor (Start to surge,stalls)
    Nick "no no don't start with me, don't start.. start start start
    Eleanor (cranks)
    Nick "Ahhh shhhhh**"
    Eleanor (cranks)
    Nick "c'mon eleanor, I need you"
    Eleanor (cranks) "VROOOOOM" tires sqeal as she pulls away.