GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Problems pressing in rear subframe mounts - any suggestions?

Default Problems pressing in rear subframe mounts - any suggestions?

I got my new Lemforder rear subframe mounts from Patrick at BMA. I had to cut the old ones out. I removed the centre bolt, and cleaned up the subframe housing using a wire brush on a drill. All looks clean. I am trying to press the new ones in using a jack, a peice of timber and water as the lubricant without any joy. I now have the mount halfway in, and it wont go any futher (and now I can't get it out either!)

Once I get it out, any suggestions on lubricating or trimming the mount?

Thanks

John - 535is Sydney

Try liquid dish washing detergent.

Paul Shovestul

Quote Originally Posted by John 535is (Sydney)
    I got my new Lemforder rear subframe mounts from Patrick at BMA. I had to cut the old ones out. I removed the centre bolt, and cleaned up the subframe housing using a wire brush on a drill. All looks clean. I am trying to press the new ones in using a jack, a peice of timber and water as the lubricant without any joy. I now have the mount halfway in, and it wont go any futher (and now I can't get it out either!)

Thanks

John - 535is Sydney
    .....Got to keep the loonies on the paath.

what an ugly spot you are in...hope you can wiggle that sucker back out!
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Default IF you do use dish washing detergent only use a very small

amount diluted with a large amount water. Some people who have use straight liguid detergent have had problems with the bushing not staying in place. Bmw only recomends circolight, a rubber lubricant that is competely absorbed into the rubber a few minutes after its pressed in... P80 listed here is the same thing as circolight.

These are both rubber lubricants designed to absorb completely into the rubber that the bushing stays in place once its pressed . Using other lubricants that stay on the surface can cause problems with the bushing moving. You'll have to look around and see what rubbler lubricants are available to you.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellicose Right Winger
    Try liquid dish washing detergent.

Paul Shovestul

Default Won't move either way now

But i will take your advice, at least it will take my mind off the car for a while.

John

It doesn't sound very good John. I recall Shogun saying that he / or other people put them in hot water to get the rubber softer when installing. I assume your car is on the ground. hmmm sorry to hear about your problems.

i am not sure if this is suitable, but you might try heating up the housing a bit. standard thing might not be suitable because of the rubber bushing. its just an idea

Germans: Why can't they make everything?

Quote Originally Posted by John 535is (Sydney)

Thanks

John - 535is Sydney
    Maybe this can help with the next bushing: Hold in the freezer overnight for shrinkage?

deleted air conditioning

Default DON'T use soap...

Bill's correct!

...the bushing will slip back out under load. Trust me. Been there, done that. See bwme34.net on rear subframe bushing section if you don't believe me.

Re getting the sucker pressed in - it's a helluva press. We used the factory tool and it was moaning the whole way. Be careful not to mushroom the top of your bushing too - that will just make things worse.

Good luck...

Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by Bill R.
    amount diluted with a large amount water. Some people who have use straight liguid detergent have had problems with the bushing not staying in place. Bmw only recomends circolight, a rubber lubricant that is competely absorbed into the rubber a few minutes after its pressed in... P80 listed here is the same thing as circolight.

These are both rubber lubricants designed to absorb completely into the rubber that the bushing stays in place once its pressed . Using other lubricants that stay on the surface can cause problems with the bushing moving. You'll have to look around and see what rubbler lubricants are available to you.
    Bellevue WA
    90 535iM - not much stock remains. 3.7 liters, ported head, cammed, 3.73 diffy, M5 brakes, MAFed, yadda yadda yadda
    86 Porsche 951 - Track Toy

just to take your mind off your present problems,did you get your obc problems sorted?
    I have my fingers crosed you can get the is back on the road soon!
    Gone but not forgotten

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast