GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Seeking your input on this website to help a client out !

Default Seeking your input on this website to help a client out !

I am helping our local European parts retailer get his online business in a little better shape. Without going into a ton of detail on the IT aspect of the business I am looking for an opinion on the following:

When searching for a part via a part number would you be turned off if you had to login to view the results of your search like this:

http://alleuro.dfhosting.com/

username: bmw1
    password: bmw1

Or would you prefer to just be able to type in a part number and get a search result like this:

http://www.alleuro.com/index2.php

(not working 100% yet)

This system was really set up to sell wholesale to local shops - its not really designed for internet use - would still like any comments. Post on forum or email me at datkin@opus45.com

Thanks

Derek.-
    Derek A.
    90 535i 5 Speed - Style 5 17"

I never use websites that require a login to use for basic info unless I absolutely have no choice. If I have to use a log in before check out time, I simply find another website.

"This system was really set up to sell wholesale to local shops"

Was or is being.. which do you want to do. If it's not for internet use, but for private shops you should have a login. If you want to sell to the public, then no, that would be insane.

Also, your site will be indexed by search engines without a password which will increase your sales publicity. If you don't care about sales to the public though, then yea, give them a l/p.

Three key items for me:

1. easy top level browsing, no logon
    2. part number / keyword searching
    3. ability to sort results and browsing by car type / model
    :: HIDCanada.com | Illuminating Your World

I understand ThoreauHD's point, but as a business owner I feel exactly the same way, if you make me log in to see the catalogue, I'll find someone who won't. If you don't want to share your pricing with retail people, then only show retail price with out a log in.

When I shop online, all I want to see is whether you have it, when I can get it, and what it costs in that order. I won't waste my time screwing arround with logins just to check availability. you may be able to get established customers to go along with a login, but new customers will probably just bail on you when they have to start making up passwords and crap just to see if you are worth bothering with. Time is money after all in business, don't waste your customers money.

www.bugmenot.com
    I love the firefox plug-in.
    89 525, 86 jetta diesel, 07 wrx with mods, 06 commander
    1 mean wife, 2 daughters, 1 bull mastiff. At least the jetta
    is cheap to keep up.

Creating an extra step for your users is always going to reduce usability. Also, most people are generally loathe to register for stuff online.

If you want to make things easy for your customers, don't create extra work for them. Why on earth should they have to login to search?

Jay Lebo - Toronto, Canada
    1990 BMW 535i
    5-speed conversion
    Lightened flywheel
    Sachs Suspension Kit
    E.A.T. Chip

If this is a retail site, then putting a login is like having a brick and morter building, putting a lock on your front door, and giving ALL your customers a key...Not a good idea. The only time you need to put an ID and password on your site is if you are going to store private information from that customer and present it back to them later. They should never have to logon if they don't need to. This includes up to the time they make a purchase with their Credit Card. They still don't need to logon to anything to make that purchase....now if they want to go back and review information, then they will have to register to get it back. In other words, there's nothing more irritating to a customer than to have a full in-basket ready to check-out and then have to apply for an ID and password that their probibly going to forget in a day or so anyway. Hope this helps.

Thanks for all the great input.

The system is primarily for local repair shops to log in to order parts. We are trying to adapt it for internet e commerce. Unfortunatley as things sit today we cannot go forward with a full order on-line system.

Thanks again.

Derek.-
    Derek A.
    90 535i 5 Speed - Style 5 17"