GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: ::.. Clutch and Brake question

Default ::.. Clutch and Brake question

============
    Brakes:

I have a choice of:

Brembo GT Brake System for the BMW 5-series (e34) - Front, Silver: (one-piece cross-drilled rotors) either 332mm or 324mm

Assuming the price is exactly the same... is there a compelling reason NOT to go 332mm?

Where can I procure a matching rear silver caliper without having to paint it myself?

============
    Clutch:

Looking at the Spec clutch kits... supposedly they are leagues ahead of the standard Sachs kit floating around for our cars. Now then... what's the difference between the 'Stages' in this case? Higher pressure? Lighter weight? This is assuming you mate it to the same Spec performance flywheel.

Brakes:
    :: HIDCanada.com | Illuminating Your World

This car is for track use?

Quote Originally Posted by joshua43214
    This car is for track use?
    No, road only. While I understand that even with minor track use, the difference is minimal. The only question is let's assume these parts were $1. Would you use them and which? No, not to buy it for a $1 and sell it

Default factory upgrades

The question I have is how much? If you're not going to track the car and only going to use it on the road, is it worth the upgrade?

Have you consider using "factory upgrade" parts?

For example, for years, the "factory big brake upgrade" for the E34 was putting on the E32 750i (302x28mm) calipers in front, E34 540/M5 (300x20mm) rear calipers? The cost was about $1500 for a complete cars worth. Further, you would be using regular, factory bolt-on components, so cost for consumables like rotors and pads, were no big deal.

If you needed bigger up front, E31 8 Series 324x30mm calipers are also available, albeit at a higher price.

As for clutch, its my understanding that if you don't mind changing flywheels, one option is to get an E12 or E28 flywheel (get a used one and have it machined) and match it with a E28 clutch kit. This setup is lighter, (you lose like 15lbs in weight), quieter, (gets rid of "death rattle" at shut off), and allows your car to rev faster. What's not to like?

Only thing I can think of is unsprung weight.

If you are going to go with that brake upgrade you might as well as install Si-C rotors.
    Last edited by Anton CH.; 05-19-2006 at 12:27 PM.

I would use none of them on the road.

I would consider a stage II clutch if I drove it on the track. Keep in mind that when you depress the clutch pedal, you are placing stress straight forward on the driveshaft. increasing the pressure of the clutch pressure plate will only shorten the life of the thrust bearing. Unless your car is modified beyond a simple chip, I see no reason to put a heftier clutch in. The stock clutch will handle the car fine unless you abuse the clutch constantly by slipping it when you shift. I have had to replace several engines that where ruined from heavy duty clutchs.

I would never use that set up for brakes unless I was running a track only car. Cross drilled rotors are a waste on money on a street car. The e34 already has an incredibly short brakeing distance, if you want an upgrade, bolt on the 540i parts. That way you wont have to worry about getting replacement parts and its a hell of alot cheaper.

Very good arguments. Now then... I should just get those parts and sell them off to those on the forum that want them Too bad I can't get "factory" upgrade parts at these prices!

I have a set of Factory Upgrade 540i Front Calipers (freshly rebuilt/Polycoated Red) and Rear M5 Calipers (new in the box) along with Goodridge SS Brake Lines (new in the Box) for $500 + Shipping. PM Me - JT
    Johntee540
    1994 540/6 Black - Tan - 199k
    Cardomain Site: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/737181/1

That's just a smidge less than I'd get the clutch and brembo kit for! BUT... are the rear calipers red?