GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Desperate for help on my E34

Default Desperate for help on my E34

I hope someone can help with my Electrics a start place would be good. I have a 1994 E34 touring 520i. What single thing can knock out my central locking, my sunroof and my electric windows. I have tried everything except the right thing, Its not fuses, fusible link, has anyone ever had this before. I am deparate as I cant take out the kids because I can't open the rear doors from inside or out. any advice would realy be appreciated. Thanks guys.
    Steve

when you say it isnt the fusible link are you sure?Sometimes it has minute cracks that you can hardly see but it wont pass the big currents for windows etc.
    Gone but not forgotten

Hi thanks for the reply. Yes I disconnected the link on both sides and heard one of the relays clicking as I dissconnected and reconnected. Also when I try to opperate the windows I hear the RM module click and it clicks again after about a minute. I am realy getting desparate as its our only car.
    Cheers. ps Love NZ I was there for a month in 2000.
    Steve

Default I'd venture to guess that IT IS the fusible

link even though you think not. If you remove it and inspect it closely you usually find a hairline crack and as it flexes or expands it will make and break the connection. So just by disconnecting and reconnecting it you can possibly hear a relay click. Take a closer look at it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sloggit1
    Hi thanks for the reply. Yes I disconnected the link on both sides and heard one of the relays clicking as I dissconnected and reconnected. Also when I try to opperate the windows I hear the RM module click and it clicks again after about a minute. I am realy getting desparate as its our only car.
    Cheers. ps Love NZ I was there for a month in 2000.
    Steve

Hi Bill, ok I will take it out again to have a good look as you suggest. I will let you know

or jump the fusible link TEMPORARILY and see if the problem is solved
    Gone but not forgotten

Hi again, Yep I took out the fusible link and checked thoroughly it is fine. I even bypassed it connected the two cables together with nut and bolt and I still had the same problems. Do you have any more suggestions, I would be greatful for any direction on this one. Many thanks
    Steve

Hi Paul, yes I did that no joy I'm afraid. Happy to try anything else you might want to suggest.
    Steve

it could be the relay module itself.

Update
    Hi Thanks for your replies. So far I have tested every fuse in the car. I have removed and checked the fusible link I have connected up the cables without the fusible link, I have tried to syncronize but there is simple no power getting to the mechanisms. When I try to operate the windows I hear a click in the rm module but that is all. I have removed the RM and GM modules I have looked inside them to check for any signs of damaged, nothing I have replaced them and still nothing works. I was hunting for something called a comfort relay that some folk say is the culprit but I couldn't find it. Unfortunately I haven't got a Bentley so can't try to trace the electrics back to a common area for all these mechanisms but it is obviously one something that affects them all. I appreciate your help. So if you can or anyone else can suggest some thing I would be very grateful. Many thanks
    Steve

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast