GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Ever heard of "Grundy" insurance?

Default Ever heard of "Grundy" insurance?

Strictly for Antique, Classic or Collectible autos. There is an agreed value amount along with unlimited mileage. The car must be garaged when not in use. I do think they frown on going to the store and leaving your car in the parking lot unattended.

For grins I plugged in the M5 on their site. For $20,000 agreed value, $500,000 liability with comp and collision was $315 a year. Sure is tempting, but I only pay $470 for the M5 now with Country Companies.

How do they do it? They assume the people that own special cars take extremely good care of them. Guess they haven't heard of the deer here in Central Illinois!

Jr

Default Heard of them....I have Hagerty.....

I restored a '66 VW Beetle a few years ago and immediately covered it with Hagerty classic car insurance.
    They are VERY nice people to deal with and it's EASY to make changes to your account or check account status.
    The price is VERY fair.
    I believe I have $8000 coverage and for NO deductible full coverage and 100/300/100 liability, it's $182/year.
    They are VERY lenient about mileage, too.
    BUT....I DO NOT drive this car everyday, just a fair weather/show car.
    I have never made a claim to know how they perform but it's nice to know that they have GREAT feedback from car clubs and it's VERY nice to know that you are 100% covered in the event of a disaster.

www.hagerty.com

That's good to know, Mo...=) The M5 might see 2k a year, it depends on how many shows Scott H., Brandon and Ed can organize =) Each trip to Chicago eats up 400 miles. When I do make the trek, family members insist I park it in their garage. Last year when the deer committed Hari Kari, I was coming back from the Peoria Auto Show...on Saturday...at noontime...in the middle of April.......what's the chances of that????
    Thanks Mo!

Jr

Default Hey Jr.....we can always come to you....

sounds like you have some serious thoughts about wrapping that baby up and keeping it a true GQ (in the Phil C sense).

I sent you an e-mail a month or so ago seeing how you guys are doing. Hope all is well.

Scott

Default Haggerty is a BIG PITA!!!

They wanted so much paperwork, pictures of the car garaged, and all kinds of promises on mileage usage. Cant take it to work, cant drive here or there, cant this and that. Their premium was about $450-525.

Too much trouble. So I keep the car insured by Allstate for comprehensive? fire, theft, etc. and I call my agent when I want to drive it, (when the weather is good) I add the collision. Then when it sits garaged for 6-8 weeks or over winter, I take the collision off. This way it costs me around $600/yr and I dont have to deal with HAggerty or some other telling me I cant drive my car.

Scott,
    You know how busy it can be here, please re-send... I'll keep an eye out. Natalie is driving now.....there goes what's left of my nerves. Really, she's a decent driver, the MB suits her fine. Safe and sound, safe and sound....for now anyway!
    Anytime Jill and yourself are down in the woods, give us a ring, you're always welcome! And this time Jill gets to drive the M5! And the Mercedes, and the 318iS, and the van......if she so desires =) Give a nod and a wink...ok?

Wish you could have been at the autocross at Rantoul last Saturday, it was a blast thrashing the E-46 M3!!!

We use mostly JC Taylor, some Hagerty for our non-daily drivers.

JC Taylor's been around for a long time, prices always seem reasonable, and when there have had to be claims, they've been very responsive. My brother in law started using Hagerty a few years ago when he was buying a car at Hershey and needed insurance immediately. There was no one at the JCT booth, and Hagerty walked with him to the car, took a check, and had him a valid insurance form inside of an hour. He says they've been very good ever since.

I cannot possibly imagine using a 'regular' insurance company for a low-usage vehicle. That said, the JCT's and Hagertys have issues with insuring cars that are under 20 years old, unless you've already got a few vehicles on your policy. Jen and I have three, her dad's got a dozen or so with JCT. They are quite responsive to Jen's dad - the only thing they will not insure for him is his '95 Club wagon and his '04 CRV.

Default What?

Quote Originally Posted by icm5er
    They wanted so much paperwork, pictures of the car garaged, and all kinds of promises on mileage usage. Cant take it to work, cant drive here or there, cant this and that. Their premium was about $450-525.

Too much trouble. So I keep the car insured by Allstate for comprehensive? fire, theft, etc. and I call my agent when I want to drive it, (when the weather is good) I add the collision. Then when it sits garaged for 6-8 weeks or over winter, I take the collision off. This way it costs me around $600/yr and I dont have to deal with HAggerty or some other telling me I cant drive my car.
    Good heavens!
    $450-525/year from Hagerty?
    What did you want to do...insure it for $100,000?
    Or did you want to insure it for a LOT of driving?
    I can't remember the mileage limit, but I remember it being more lenient than Grundy.
    I had to go through the pictures and garaging proof....no problem, that took all of 1/2 an hour.
    I didn't feel comfortable with the coverage my Allstate agent quoted, not as "collector car friendly", in my opinion. More of a "standard policy with added on features". Too spooky.
    Just my two cents, though.