GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ot

Default Ot

Your alarm goes off, you hit the snooze and sleep for another 10 minutes.

He stays up for days on end.

You take a warm shower to help you wake up.

He goes days or weeks without running water.

You complain of a "headache", and call in sick.

He gets shot at, as others are hit, and keeps moving forward.

You put on your anti war/don't support the troops shirt, and go meet up with your friends.

He still fights for your right to wear that shirt.

You make sure your cell phone is in your pocket.

He clutches the cross hanging on his chain next to his dog tags.

You talk trash on your "buddies" that aren't with you.

He knows he may not see some of his buddies again.

You walk down the beach, staring at all the pretty girls.

He walks the streets, searching for insurgents and terrorists.

You complain about how hot it is.

He wears his heavy gear, not daring to take off his helmet to wipe his brow.

You go out to lunch, and complain because the restaurant got your order wrong.

He does not get to eat today.

Your maid makes your bed and washes your clothes.

He wears the same things for months, but makes sure his weapons are clean.

You go to the mall and get your hair redone.

He doesn't have time to brush his teeth today.

You are angry because your class ran 5 minutes over.

He is told he will be held an extra 2 months.

You call your girlfriend and set a date for that night.

He waits for the mail to see if there is a letter from home.

You hug and kiss your girlfriend, like you do everyday.

He holds his letter close and smells his love's perfume.

You roll your eyes as a baby cries.

He gets a letter with pictures of his new child, and wonders if they'll ever meet.

You criticize your government, and say that war never solves anything.

He sees the innocent tortured and killed by their own government and remembers why he is fighting.

You hear the jokes about the war, and make fun of the men like him.

He hears the gun fire and bombs.

You see only what the media wants you to see.

He sees the bodies lying around him.

You are asked to go to the store by your parents. You don't.

He does what he is told.

You stay at home and watch TV.

He takes whatever time he is given to call and write home, sleep, and eat.

You crawl into your bed, with down pillows, and try to get comfortable.

He crawls under a tank for shade and a 5 minute nap, only to be woken by gun fire.

You sit there and judge him, saying the world is a worse place because of men like him.

If only there were more men like him.

If you support your troops, repost this.
    Lowered with blue h&r(?) springs, Bilsteins, tint, 19# design 3 injectors, Dual Magnaflow
    southwest WA

No doubt a terrible existence !

But if the soldier is part of a force that invaded their "enemy's" country, without that enemy declaring war on them, then perhaps he or she is not justified.

Donovan wrote a song about the "Universal Soldier" once and it is still true today.

"I'm not the village idiot.
    But when he retires I'm next on the list."

I believe through the propoganda that we were threatened and called to war, we need to defend ourselves. Thats all propoganda, who knows what the fuk is really going on over here. You know more than we do.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuk in Oz
    No doubt a terrible existence !

But if the soldier is part of a force that invaded their "enemy's" country, without that enemy declaring war on them, then perhaps he or she is not justified.

Donovan wrote a song about the "Universal Soldier" once and it is still true today.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

It is always the footsoldier who suffers or dies while the idiots that make decisions or start wars are miles or countries away and are not called to suffer at all.

Were it ever thus !

Go figure !

"I'm not the village idiot.
    But when he retires I'm next on the list."

I think that most people think we invaded Iraq for the oil- even though we aren't getting any. Whichever being the case, I have no problems going to war with a country for energy. Oil, food, water, and air are national security interests. We're on a car forum for Pete's sake. What does that tell you.

Why do you think WW2 began? Really, read up on it. We cut off Japan's oil supply by navy embargo and brought their economy to a crawl. Then they blew up our naval harbor. They didn't pick us out of a raffle basket. We jacked with their oil supply.

I don't know why you folks think that there's something noble about war. There never has been. It's about aquiring resources and control. The civil war(land/labor-slavery), the revolutionary war(money), WW1(knocked off nobility), etc.

I personally think that we need to remove the problem in total. Move to Ethanol 85% and gas 15%. We can make that ourselves in the States. At that point, the only thing we have to worry about are Iran nuking our allies and some muslims blowing up americans because we eat protein from pigs.

If you wanted a different outcome then you could have voted in different leaders. There was a libertarian on the presidential ballot in all 50 states. He was arrested trying to attend the debates with the other two jackasses on the ballot. They wouldn't let him in. In any case, I keep hearing that this war is bad. You're right. It sucks, but the problem is that we need to find an energy source to negate oil or else we will be fighting over it. And if we wait till later to fight over it, we may not be strong enough to do so... like Japan. In any case, that's my observation. YMMV.

A soldier does what he is ordered to do. Do not judge the man, judge the government that manipulates him.
    Freude am Fahren - Damn straight!

Default Nice theory Thoreau but its not correct. Just taking one small

slice here.... If we did convert to e85 the approximate yield of ethanol from one acre of corn is 300 gallons per growing season. Our annual gas and diesel consumption in the US is approx. 200 billion gallons a year. So to yield enough ethanol we would have to convert 675 million acres of cropland over to Corn for ethanol.. the problem is that we only have 938 million acres of farmland in the US period which means that 71% of our farmland would be devoted to ethanol production. The 29% remaining isn't enough for food production for the US so we would have to import food. The price of food would skyrocket, and the price of meat would go through the roof. Millions would starve since we in the past have always sent huge food shipments to starving countries. The only country that has even been remotely succesful with e85 is Brazil and their net consumption of fuel is only about 3% of ours.
    Also Brazil is using sugercane to produce their ethanol which is a much more efficient in the conversion process to ethanol, so they get a much higher yield.
    We can't switch to sugarcane since it requires 49 to 50 inches of rain per year and temperatures above 70 or it dies.
    We still have a long ways to go before we can think about switching to e85 on a large scale. Hybrids will be much more practical and will lend them selves to ethanol based engines and biodiesel engines in the long term.. In fact honda will have a hybrid turbodiesel that will run on bio fuel here in the next 3 years.

I personally think that we need to remove the problem in total. Move to Ethanol 85% and gas 15%. We can make that ourselves in the States. At that point, the only thing we have to worry about are Iran nuking our allies and some muslims blowing up americans because we eat protein from pigs.

Quote Originally Posted by sKilled
    A soldier does what he is ordered to do. Do not judge the man, judge the government that manipulates him.
    I'm sure we all appreciate this statement skilled.

I don't get the first section very well. Who on earth is it that ever judges the solider other than their superiors? I've never seen any significant body or quantity of people (that are anti-war) judge soldiers. Things are often mute when soldiers return from battle, in some cases national shame is rife, but that doesn't mean that anyone doesn't appreciate or support them. AFAIC work out it is just a sensitive argument about why they have to be sent or why it has to be done one way or another. I can tell you I sure do understand why many would be sensitive over such things.

Sure it'd be nice (some think) if they told our rulers to stick unfair battles over self-interest and money where they should be stuck, but no-one goes round promoting that other than a healthy political opposititon. After all, we are the one's sending them to (and paying them in) battle. Everyone knows their pawns in the power game.

Join the Aussie
    540i LE yahoo forum

08/88 535i e34 M30+miller MAF, 'stiens, tints & teeth!

Quote Originally Posted by Bill R.
    slice here.... If we did convert to e85 the approximate yield of ethanol from one acre of corn is 300 gallons per growing season. Our annual gas and diesel consumption in the US is approx. 200 billion gallons a year. So to yield enough ethanol we would have to convert 675 million acres of cropland over to Corn for ethanol.. the problem is that we only have 938 million acres of farmland in the US period which means that 71% of our farmland would be devoted to ethanol production. The 29% remaining isn't enough for food production for the US so we would have to import food. The price of food would skyrocket, and the price of meat would go through the roof. Millions would starve since we in the past have always sent huge food shipments to starving countries. The only country that has even been remotely succesful with e85 is Brazil and their net consumption of fuel is only about 3% of ours.
    Also Brazil is using sugercane to produce their ethanol which is a much more efficient in the conversion process to ethanol, so they get a much higher yield.
    We can't switch to sugarcane since it requires 49 to 50 inches of rain per year and temperatures above 70 or it dies.
    We still have a long ways to go before we can think about switching to e85 on a large scale. Hybrids will be much more practical and will lend them selves to ethanol based engines and biodiesel engines in the long term.. In fact honda will have a hybrid turbodiesel that will run on bio fuel here in the next 3 years.

interesting points Bill especially the farm area calculations, guess you guys could always make hydrogen from water using power from our uranium. just make sure you help us out when some imperialist bastard psycho takes over indonesia again. or you could just give us the bomb so we don't have to worry about the stupid indonesia's invading us or our neighbours again.

Germans: Why can't they make everything?

Quote Originally Posted by genphreak
    I'm sure we all appreciate this statement skilled.

I don't get the first section very well. Who on earth is it that ever judges the solider other than their superiors? I've never seen any significant body or quantity of people (that are anti-war) judge soldiers. Things are often mute when soldiers return from battle, in some cases national shame is rife, but that doesn't mean that anyone doesn't appreciate or support them. AFAIC work out it is just a sensitive argument about why they have to be sent or why it has to be done one way or another. I can tell you I sure do understand why many would be sensitive over such things.

Sure it'd be nice (some think) if they told our rulers to stick unfair battles over self-interest and money where they should be stuck, but no-one goes round promoting that other than a healthy political opposititon. After all, we are the one's sending them to (and paying them in) battle. Everyone knows their pawns in the power game.
    Vietnam would be an excellent example of soldiers being blamed for the actions of their leadership. Soldiers were spat upon when they returned from Vietnam, can you imagine what that must have felt like? Returning from a long tour of duty fighting for your country, greatful to be alive, happy to be home, then some stoned worthless hippie spits in your face when you step off of the plane. It's a miracle there weren't more hippies killed back then, probably more than a few knocked on their ass. Vietnam was a f-up, pure and simple, but the soldier on the ground wasn't to blame.

As for the fuel issue, it's really quite simple for the near future. Expand diesel availability in the US, and create diesel hybrids. Making diesels more prevalent as in the rest of the world would help to slow our overall consumption in the short term, and diesel hybrids are said to be more efficient than their gasoline counterparts. All the tech is available, it's just that when Americans think of diesels, they think of the '80s GM products that belched black smoke, sounded like a semi, and exploded after 50,000 miles. This stigma has kept diesels from taking off in America, as well as insane new emissions laws. This could easily be overcome by subsidizing diesel prices to encourage diesel purchases, as in many european nations. Ethanol is a joke, and more a product of ADM and the farm lobby than anything.
    Matt J.

'95 540/6- Jim C. chip, Bilsteins, B&B, For Sale!
    -Sold
    www.wichitabmw.com

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast