GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: 91 525i muffler middle or rear?

Default 91 525i muffler middle or rear?

OK the time has come for a new muffler or just wear hearing protection while engine is running.........Opting for a new muffler, could someone please enlighten me weather to change middle, rear or both and can much of a performance boost be gained with out sacrificing a quiet cruise?

You should change the one that has the leak. I changed my rear muffler just to get some deeper sound and some better look.

I generaly replace the rear only if it is the only part that is leaky. If the middle is leaky, I replace the whole system cat back.

Its probably your rear muffler thats worn out. That doesnt mean it has a leak. My rear muffler had a leak that i fixed with "muffler mender" glue stuff and window screen, as a result the, the exhaust is quiet and will tide me over until i get a flowmasters or something along the order of one.
    Lowered with blue h&r(?) springs, Bilsteins, tint, 19# design 3 injectors, Dual Magnaflow
    southwest WA

Quote Originally Posted by joshua43214
    I generaly replace the rear only if it is the only part that is leaky. If the middle is leaky, I replace the whole system cat back.
    Why would he replace the whole exhaust if only one part is leaking or worn out? Besides, from the symptoms he describes, its probably not a leak. Leaks that far back generally make "phttt" noises.
    Lowered with blue h&r(?) springs, Bilsteins, tint, 19# design 3 injectors, Dual Magnaflow
    southwest WA

Quote Originally Posted by Alexlind123
    Why would he replace the whole exhaust if only one part is leaking or worn out? Besides, from the symptoms he describes, its probably not a leak. Leaks that far back generally make "phttt" noises.
    OE is one big piece, it hard to replace the center and not the rear if the rear has never been replaced. The rear section on all cars wears out faster than the middle. If the middle has worn out, the rear is not far behind in my experience. If I replaced the rear section, I will use best judgement as to what to do with it when the middle fails. Most of my customers would have just prefered not having to deal with it getting loud again in less than a year.

There is no leak in the system it is just loud, at first I suspected a leak but after inspection discovered the noise is coming right out the back of the tail pipes as though the rear muffler has lost internal integrity.

Quote Originally Posted by csirisky
    There is no leak in the system it is just loud, at first I suspected a leak but after inspection discovered the noise is coming right out the back of the tail pipes as though the rear muffler has lost internal integrity.
    Thats the vibe i got from your first post. After all, you never said it was leaking. You almost certainly need a new rear muffler. There are many aftermarket brands to choose from aside from an expensive stock replacement. Do some searching on the forums
    southwest WA

Thanks Alex...ebay has OEM type for just under $300, what do you think?

There is a rear ANSA muffler on BMA for 213. I would look around a bit.
    southwest WA