GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: whats wrong with my e30?

Default whats wrong with my e30?

still trying to get the new car running better so i can start using it as a dialy driver. the car is a 1989 e325im about 160K. heres the new problem. i'll describe it the best i can but i just changed my own oil for the first time about a week ago so im pretty new to working on cars.

it has a bad idle. well it does it the whole even when running but it's slightly better when warm. the symptoms are minor engine surging while it idles. it probably goes up about 3-500 rpms and everytime it does the red engine light would flash. and it goes away right when the the engine slows back down.

ive changed all the oil and looked at the o2 sensor checked the plugs, wires and distributor cap. made sure the oil cap and dipstick was tight. mass airflow sensor is new but its aftermarket so i dont know anything about it. hoses look good so i dont think theres a leak in the intake or anything.

im not sure what is wrong. i tried searching for stomp test but couldnt get any info is it the same as doing it on later cars? whats a good site to get the codes decifered?
    Last edited by JohnC; 05-18-2006 at 10:13 PM.

Stomp test procedure and the codes and info is on my website.

I'd check the codes but if I were forced to guess it would be something like cam/speed position sensor, or something to do with fuel pressure like a regulator or filter..... if it's a fuel pressure or injection problem, odds are a code reader won't tell you. Cam sensors the code reader will pick up.

My e30 had to have the o-rings on the injectors replaced. A couple of them were sucking air (which you could easily hear) and was causing uneven idle. I could put my finger over the area where the ring was bad to plug the leak and the idle would smooth out.
    1990 535i 5-sp., except for 16" M-Contours, cd deck, and clear corners, completely stock. 226k and running strong

i got 1444, no error so why would the check engine light still be on?

i'll check all of your suggestins but we think it might be the idle control module, would that make the engine light come on but still wouldnt produce any fault codes?

i just did a whole fuel system maintenance so i'll go check again for leaks and try to figure it out.

no idle module on a I the E was the one with the seperate idle box, the valve is controled by the engine computer. hard to say whats pissing it off without getting my hands on it, theres a couple places it can leak air like where the purge valve enters the bottom of the throttle body, the vent line from the valve cover to the throttle body and one very rare place, the o-ring on top of the vent tube that goes from the intake down to the block behind the throttle body, one varly easy way to find air leaks is spray carb cleaner around and see if the idle changes. because the stomp test worked the throttle position switch probably works, but id double check it clicks when the throttle is closed, next i would clean the throttle body and idle control valve with carb cleaner and a brush, the cylinder in the idle control valve should move freely as you twist your wrist while holding the valve
    all america wants is cold beer warm cat and a place to take a poop with a door on it