GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Engine bling

Default Engine bling

Ok-you guys know how I love blingy engines. And I have been known to spend a Saturday night or two in the garage detailing my engine. The ultimate compliment to me was when the mechanics at the indy were talking about how you could eat off of my engine.

I thought I was the queen of engine detailing (not that kind of queen--I am female). But Califblue showed me how it is really done and introduced me to products that are the miracle of the modern world.

I have 3 tips for you:

Carb cleaner--where has this product been all my life?
    Aluminum and mag cleaner--you won't believe my strut brace.
    CR2 or CD2 or something like that--I think it is a gummi pfledge twin.

All of the above work more effectively if you add beer.
    Dinan chip, Bilstein sports w H&R, RD sways, RD strut brace, 750 bushings, Zimmermans/MetalMasters, O.E. M Pars, Eisenmann muffler

Default Before

Here are the before pictures. Please note the lettering on the strut brace. Notice how cruddy the base of the strut brace is. Is that one ugly valve cover or what? And the worthless peeling stickers on the white paint at the front of the engine compartment. I hate stuff like that.

Note the varnish on the manifold. What was BMW thinking. And it looks like varnish on the hose. Probably not but it is definitely crude that is not becoming to a hose.

Last edited by Gayle; 05-15-2006 at 09:41 PM.
    Dinan chip, Bilstein sports w H&R, RD sways, RD strut brace, 750 bushings, Zimmermans/MetalMasters, O.E. M Pars, Eisenmann muffler

Default During

I went through one can of carb cleaner on my own the weekend before, so I went back and got 3 more. I also made a run on Home Depot for wire brushes before this extravaganza, but I learned you can never have too many wire brushes.

It is so fun watching paint dry. Mike was a little dissappointed it didn't crinkle more, but it looked good to me. We used Harley paint. We kind of nicked at a little putting it back in so I have some touch up to do.

Last edited by Gayle; 05-15-2006 at 09:44 PM.

Default After

Are you blinded by the light? At bimmerfest, I was drooling over a highly polished strut brace and Mike said we could make mine look like that, but I never believed it. I still can't. Especially the bases--they were so grody. And the manifold is a thing of beauty now.

Check out the chrome nuts for the valve cover. The prior owner loved this car as much as I do.

And all the black looks new again. We did the fan blades and everything. And please notice how clean the white looks without those stupid stickers.

We also replaced my lows with Silverstar 9005s. I haven't driven it at night yet, but it just has to be an improvement. The old lows so sucked.

So consider yourselves warned guys. I am not talking my car to Chicago this year, but I am in 2007. My car is going to be the cleanest one there after JR's. And hey, if I hit a deer like he did, I might get a step closer to automotive perfection.
    Last edited by Gayle; 05-15-2006 at 09:57 PM.

Looks good. I never let armorall touch the interior of my car, but in the engine compartment i let that rule slide... I shall post a picture of mine soon. Prepare to weep!
    Lowered with blue h&r(?) springs, Bilsteins, tint, 19# design 3 injectors, Dual Magnaflow
    southwest WA

Nice job. Carb cleaner has been my secret tool of choice for awhile. Next step you powdercoat the valvecover...
    Rob

which products did you use on the plastic intake tubing and box?

theres a few different formulations of carb cleaner the baddest has acetone in it, it's like turbo carb cleaner the worst is the old formula of gumout that leaves that greasy residue, the new stuff is ok the old stuff seems to come up as generic/house brand now a days
    all america wants is cold beer warm cat and a place to take a poop with a door on it

Quote Originally Posted by GoldenOne
    which products did you use on the plastic intake tubing and box?
    That is the one I can't remember the exact name. CR2 or CD2. I did a search and couldn't find a matching product. When Mike sees this, he will post the name. He is the one who had the product. You spray it on, walk away 20, and come back and wipe it clean. Boy does it make a big difference.

removed the paint in the cross brace, wonder how the plastic fended its way.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast