GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need quick help with brakes!!

Default Need quick help with brakes!!

Hello guys. I'm in the process of changing my brake pads and can't seems to get the back pads to fit right. The fronts went in fine, but I can't get the rear pads to fit together. The brake piston is also compressed as much as possible. Can you guys spot what I'm doing wrong?? Thanks, Andrew

did you just take the caloper off? Try to move the inner/outer calipers farther apart. Id the inner pad sitting flush against the piston? I had a bitch of a time getting the spring thing into the piston.

Good luck.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Take the car to someone who knows what he's doing. The caliper needs to be removed from the bracket to install the pads.

Seriously, if the install is messed up, people can die. Clueless DIYing is okay on practically every other system in the car except for the service brakes.

best, whit

nice sig jeff, hahahaha

unbolt the caliper from the brake carrier and you'll have access to the pads.
    94 530i, Black 5 Speed

I took the entire caliper off except for the brake fluid hose. When placing the inner pad in position, the outer pad physically does not fit through the open space.

Quote Originally Posted by 632 Regal
    did you just take the caloper off? Try to move the inner/outer calipers farther apart. Id the inner pad sitting flush against the piston? I had a bitch of a time getting the spring thing into the piston.

Good luck.

Thanks Jeff, my Father and I tired for 2 hours to figure out why the outer pad wasn't going in right, but were dumbfounded and he had to go somewhere, so we will try to tackle it tomorrow.

I'll get better pic's tomorrow to show you guys exactly what I'm talking about. It's kinda hard to explain. It seems like the new pads are about 1/8 inches to big. Is it possible to ground them down a little bit to make them fit??
    Last edited by E34 530; 05-13-2006 at 07:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by lowell
    Take the car to someone who knows what he's doing. The caliper needs to be removed from the bracket to install the pads.

Seriously, if the install is messed up, people can die. Clueless DIYing is okay on practically every other system in the car except for the service brakes.

best, whit
    Not to sound like a dick, but I know how to change brake pads. I did the front in no time. I know you know 1,000,000,000 more things about this car than I do and probably ever will, but I have changed brakes on every singe car I've ever owned, even the more tedious drum brakes.

Take it easy children!

Quote Originally Posted by E34 530
    Not to sound like a dick, but I know how to change brake pads. I did the front in no time. I know you know 1,000,000,000 more things about this car than I do and probably ever will, but I have changed brakes on every singe car I've ever owned, even the more tedious drum brakes.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Quote Originally Posted by 632 Regal
    Take it easy children!
    But he started it!!!! In all honesty though, I truly respect lowell and his vast information on BMW's.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast